Author Topic: Carluke cemetery?? HALLIDAY  (Read 14172 times)

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Carluke cemetery?? HALLIDAY
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 October 07 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Ard, if it helps at all - in my 1922 street directory for Wishaw the householder at 40 Shand St was Mrs Elizabeth Halliday. Also at that address (I have to presume this list was made-up of eligible voters) was Archibald Halliday.
Women did keep their maiden surnames, (a very informal arrangement really, my mother, who was 83 when she passed away, was still known, and addressed by her maiden name to those in the town she had known from her schooldays and from the time before she was married).and under Scots law to this day a woman is described in legal documents as - for example - Elizabeth Anderson or Halliday. 

Lodger.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 October 07 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hmm - that is intersting.
mt ggg grandmother Elizabeth Dick or Halliday was certainly not alive in 1922!

John Halliday and Elizabeth Dick had a daughter Elizabeth - perhpas she is the Elizabeth Halliday or Anderson who was owner of the plot that John was buried in. :-\

Thanks for the information, Lodger.This one might take some time to sort through! While grandmother( herself granddaughter of Agnes Halldiay, also daug of John Halliday and Elizabeth Dick) had immigrated to Canada with her family in the early 1900s, along with a couple of children of Robert or John Halliday and some Leggats, I was told their Halliday relatives were of Wishaw.

cheers,
ard

CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 October 07 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Ard, my interpretation of the facts is that this Elizabeth Anderson or Halliday was the wife of the John Halliday who died in 1916.  When he died, it would have been the norm to have  the plot registered in the widow's name, assuming that it was a new plot purchased at the time of John's death.  This would tell us that his widow's maiden surname was Anderson.

Lodger
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 October 07 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Oh - yes that could be a possibility. I hadn't considered that because I believed John jr's wife Elizabeth's maiden name was McLennen.  I can't remember how I came across that information (I'll have to dig around a bit) I had looked at the IGI but there were no matches to McLennen, nor Anderson for that matter! I don't have an Archibald Halliday in my connected to the family at this point either -

I'll have to look into it further. Thanks for giving me a better idea of the conventions regarding name usage.

ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 October 07 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes - Elizabeth and John's son David Dick Halliday's death certificate (1892) has the name of his mother as McLennen (although a bit difficult to read)

1891 census has Elizabeth age 39, her birth place Ardclach, Nairn

At that time she and John had 3 children: John, Donald and David. From the burial information sent to me, it appears that they had also had a daughter Catherine who had died as a baby.

Given that information, it made sense to me that the following is probably the IGI record of John's wife (place fits ,the names of her parents are echoed in the children's names but the year of birth wasn't the same as the census implied):

IGI  C111202
ELSPET MC LENNAN
Birth:  27 FEB 1849   
Christening:  18 MAR 1849   Ardclach, Nairn, Scotland
  Father:  DONALD MC LENNAN  Family
  Mother:  CATHERINE FRASER     

It would probably help to see how the are in 1901.

And so I'm still left wondering about ANDERSON!

A bit of mystery is always good for the soul!

ard

Offline lucilleloren

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hello.... This is facinating.

I am Lucy Stevenson Halliday (now Topp)
My father was Eric Stevenson Halliday (born 1937)
His parents were Alexander Halliday and Catherine Stevenson

My grandparents lived in Lanakshire, Scotland....

I wonder if we can be related to this clan of Halliday's?

Any idea..... xx Lucy

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 16:26 BST (UK) »
There is certainly a possibility but Halliday wasn't that uncommon a name in Lanarkshire. If your grandfather Halliday was from the Wishaw area (consider too place names such as Cambusnethan, the Mondklands, Carluke ), the likelyhood increases!

My ancestor John Halliday, though born at Crawford around 1804, lived, worked as a coal miner and died (1853) in the vicinity of Wishaw - so did the next generation. Working in the mines was what the men in this family did, for the most part.

John's parents, Robert Halliday and Margaret Williamson, appeared to have ended their days in there as well. Another Halliday family who lived side by side with mine, that of Archibald Halliday and Marion Penman. I believe these two families are closely connected but I can't yet be sure.

The theory I am going with at the moment is that Archibald and Robert were brothers born at Killin, Perth, Scotland, children of THOMAS HALIDAY  and ANNE CAMPBELL. But that remains but a theory!

cheers,
ard

Offline charlottevagon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 August 10 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ard.

My grandmother was a Halliday and when her last surviving sister died earlier this year, we found an interesting document whilst sorting her belongings.  The document detailed the marriage between Thomas Halliday and a sister of William Wallace.  I have not had the opportunity to look into this as yet, but it is a fascinating twist to the family name. 

My family may well be related to yours as the most recent hail from Benhar (a small mining village that no longer exists) and then from Faldhouse which is 11 miles from Wishaw.  I will list the family details that I am aware of and this may or may not bring your search further to life.  There are a number of Hallidays in the cemetary in Faldhouse.

G Grandparents - Peter Halliday and Mary Halliday nee Quinn
Children - Margaret Halliday (grandma, born 1 March 1924) and her siblings Peter, Joseph, John, James, Susan, Elizabeth and Mary.
I do hope that this is of use to you.  Good luck with your on-going search!

Charlotte

Offline Tony Halliday

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Carluke cemetery?? HALLIDAY/WILLIAM WALLACE
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 August 16 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am very interested in the document you have detailing the marriage between Thomas Halliday and a sister of William Wallace.  Is it possible that you can send me a copy of that document? I am involved in the research of the Hallidays and William Wallace.