Author Topic: tracing the rarity,s in Kirklisten  (Read 10784 times)

Offline PatriciaJMarshall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: tracing the rarity,s in Kirklisten
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

It seems we share the same great great grandad, William Rarity! He was my granny's grandad. Her name was Jessie Rarity (b. 29 Dec 1890 with older siblings called James, Helen, Elizabeth, William and Alexander). She was the youngest of William's son William's children. Let me know if you'd like more info on this branch of the Raritys.

I've ground to a halt at Elizabeth Chattie (wonder if she was chatt(y) by nature as well as by name . . .). I have Elizabeth dying on 1 Dec 1887, with William dying much later, on 5 Feb 1909 at North Fort Street in Leith (literally a stone's throw from my office in Giles Street), the home of his son Thomas who was my great grandad William's elder brother - Thomas was born c. 1853 and my great grandad William was born on 11 Apr 1855. The census records show our great great grandad to be at least ten (in some instances thirteen) years younger than his wife.

My great grandad William's birth certificate is interesting as it is one of the type that shows more information than most. It says that William was William and Elizabeth's eighth child. Of my great grandad William's seven older siblings, there were four boys and three girls. Two boys and one girl had died by the time of William's birth so he had two older brothers and two older sisters still alive. I've found names for some of the siblings - there was Agnes, David and Jane - from the census returns but others must have been born and died between the years the censuses were taken.

I'll see if I can get any further with the Raritys by discounting George and trying David which would seem to be a bit of favourite name in the family - though nowhere near as popular as William.

What I really want to do now is get a bit further with the Chatty family - it's such a great name. I have Elizabeth's parents as Thomas Chattie and Agnes Chapman but that's it. I see that your last post was in May so I wondered if you'd any success on this front?

I've only being doing my family tree for about three weeks and I'm absolutely addicted! If I come across anything else that might be useful to you, I'll let you know.

Your cousin many times removed, Patricia x

Offline andyewhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
    Patricia I wish you had contacted me earlier as I managed to trace the Raritys
right back to1722 I have over 350 ( I think) and yes it might be chattie or chatty you must remember people the could not count let alone spell as you would have seen with Elizabeth chatty her age was all over the place in the census.

I have already found my mums 2 2nd cousins in Aussie land. I made them up a cd with the family tree , copies of census, birth, death certificate so you are welcome to a copy.

By the way my mum Margaret Rarity is the great great granddaughter of William via his Son William his son Alexander and his son William (my granddad)

Also as for the chatties I got some info from a guy called Howard who was looking into that side of the family. I will check to see what I have

Offline andyewhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Also
  I forgot to mention I live in Edinburgh

Offline PatriciaJMarshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

Yes, the different spellings can send you off on the wrong track. Today I found some evidence that Thomas Chattie's surname might be a corruption of Shatton (you can understand why they might want to change that!). However, the fact that, during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, they tended to stay round about the same place helps a wee bit

I'd really appreciate a copy of the CD you've compiled - thank you for offering it.

I'm not too au fait with this posting malarkey. I see you're not encouraged to put your e-mail address on posts but presumably there's a way consenting folk can exchange e-mail addresses?

I'll see if I can get some photos of my granny scanned in exchange for your CD. She died in the early sixties and I can only just remember her.

Patricia

Offline Agnes B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 January 07 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy
I too am searching for the Rarity's.
I was born Agnes Brown Rarity to James Taylor Rarity & Annie Morrison Brown.
My grandfather was William Brodie Rarity of Dumfries, he had 8 children with Elizabeth Anderson Taylor. My grannie Rarity lived at Rutherglen intil the 1980's. My aunties still live at Rutherglen. Maybe there is some connection

Regards
Agnes

Offline andyewhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 January 07 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Agnes
             It looks like you are related to the west coast Raritys.As I am from Edinburgh I have managed to trace most if not all of them who lived in Edinburgh Leith then Crammond and Kirkliston. Sorry I have no record of your crowd.
But if you need the my info I will be happy to drop it on to CD and post it out to you.
I am now trying to flesh out the info I have so as you will understand it is a ongoing project.

regards   Andy

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 January 07 13:26 GMT (UK) »
a big big welcome to rootschat agnes, i hope we are able to trace your family for you through the decades.

should you require any help please start a thread and someone would only be to happy to help you in your research

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline Agnes B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 January 07 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Any info you may have would be gratefully appreciated.
It seems there are more Rarity's than I thought, although I am sure they are all related from the Irish Rarity's in 1090.

I would be happy to pay the postal charges as I live in Australia!

My Postal address is:
Agnes Wolvey
82 Kemps Access
Collombatti
NSW 2440
Australia

Regards
Agnes

Offline andyewhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 January 07 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Agnes I did not realize that you were in Aussie land Why ?

Because I am in contact with 2 of my mums 2nd cousins from Australia. Both descended from Rarity

I can email you the LDS family tree that I have put together. Also you say the Rarity's are from Ireland well sorry to disappoint you but my research say the name is from Inverarity in Scotland. People shortend to rarity I guess because not many could read and write.
Also a lot of Scots farmers mainly moved to Northern Ireland so that maybe
answer a couple of questions.

I have been out today getting more info so once I have got it entered I can mail you

Feel free to mail me at andyewhite@blueyonder.co.uk