Author Topic: FERRIER of Angus  (Read 71741 times)

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: FERRIER
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 26 March 06 07:30 BST (UK) »
Child #4: Ferrier Eliza Pierce  pn[4859] Sex F (-1846-1873-), Alternative Name=Eliza Pirie, Alternative Name=ELIZA LIVIE
Christening: 1846/JUL/29 Dundee,Angus,Scotland
Birth: 1846/JUL/29 Dun,Angus,Scotland
Miscellaneous event: 1867/NOV/5 Dundee,Angus,Scotland, Role=Wife, Event Type=marriage

Eliza Pirie FERRIER. Born on 29 Jul 1846 in Dundee, Angus, Scotland, Eliza Pirie died in Newburgh, Fife, Scotland on 27 Nov 1923, aged 77. In 1881, she resided in High Street, Newburgh, Fife.

OPR record on GROS shows Eliza Pierce - should be Eliza Pirie. She died at 12 noon at Abbey Lodge, Newburgh, Fife of Cerebral Haemorrhage. Death registered by her son, Gibson Wilson of 169, Queen's Gate, London.

In 1851, Eliza Ferrier, aged 4 was living in Ferry-Port-on-Craig with her aunts, Euphemia and Isabella Meldrum, sisters to her mother, Elizabeth Meldrum Ferrier. Euphemia’s will shows that Isabella had a natural daughter, also called Elizabeth, no surname given and as yet unfound.  Although Eliza Pirie Ferrier’s death certificate shows her to have been the daughter of Gibson Ferrier and Elizabeth Meldrum, I have wondered if perhaps she was actually Isabella’s daughter, adopted by her Aunt Elizabeth and Gibson but this is just speculation.

Eliza Pirie Ferrier married Thomas WILSON,  born c.1835 in Newburgh, Fife, Scotland.

They had the following children:

Gibson Wilson Born c.1872 in Newburgh, Fife, Scotland. 

Eliza Wilson Born c.1873 in Newburgh, Fife. In 1891, Eliza lived in London with her uncle, John Ferrier.         

Thomas Wilson. Born c. 1874 in Newburgh, Fife.

Ernest Wilson Born c. 1878 in Newburgh, Fife.

I would be very interested if anyone can decipher what is written next to the 'tick' by Eliza's name on the 1861 census - attached.
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: FERRIER of Angus
« Reply #37 on: Monday 27 March 06 13:27 BST (UK) »
Re. post #13 - hi other Lindsay - this might get confussing  ;D I haven't seen the bit about Ferriers on Scotland General - do you have a link?

Re. post #23 - Hi Martin - yep that is my family.  Ann Ferrier is my g/g grandmother.

Gallagher/Maloney/Sweeney/Henne - Donegal
Duncan/McCormack/Ogg/Pitkethly/Williamson/Ireland/Leuchars - Angus
Smith/Innes/Coull/McRobb/McDonald/Dalgety/Cadenhead/Davidson/Mathieson/Bonner/Mackie/Saunders/Russel/Rait/Shand/Scott/Jaffrey/Leslie/Black/Skene/Shewan - Aberdeen(shire)
Clark/Duncan/Ferrier/Cooper/Martin - Angus & Kincardine

Offline aferrier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 27 March 06 14:21 BST (UK) »
Gill

I have so far extracted the following:

A) Alexanders born between 1751 and 1766

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

I will keep looking -

allan
Angus (Forfar): Ferrier; Cant; Dear ; Gibb; Taylor
Bute: Morrell
England: Nightingale; Skinner; Furby; Butler ; Bridgman
India: Cooper; Bridgman;Korb; Peace; Thompson ; Bonner

Offline traceyc84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 25 September 08 23:14 BST (UK) »
hi lindsay my gg gran is also ann ferrier. My mum comes fromt he clark side of the family! What about you?
Kind regards

Tracey

Offline mtigger

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 14 May 09 08:14 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if I am in the right spot, but I am looking for family..I am descended through the Ferrier family, they went to the Us in the early, mid 1700's. I have Andrew who was born in either Scotland, or US , he married Jean Marlin, daughter of William and Elizabeth (who possibly was a Ferrier) born in Scotland. The father of Andrew might be Samuel, from Scotland and his Grandfather might have been John Ferrier, possibly from Ireland.

Offline mogs 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a William Ferrier b. 25/7/1794 in Kinnell, Forfar whose father was also William which might fit in with your william b 1760s.  The father was listed as a dyker - later descendants were stonemasons - and his wife was Catherine Bowen.  Alexander is also one of the names which appears with regularity in the descendants.

Any possibility of a link?

Hello, am new to this..I have a gggg grandfather called William Ferrier born 1804 Forfar Scotland, married to elspeth gibb 1823, their son was Alexander carey ferrier b.1833 married to Elizabeth Dear, as far as i know they had two children, my gg grandmother Mary Jane Ferrier b.1861 at old red castle, lunan bay, and Alexander Cairey Ferrier. Mary Jane married James flemming in 1891. That's as far as I can go, would lve to hear from anyone who can tell me more. Am intrigued by old red castle birth as I have been there and it has been in ruins for a long time.. wondered if it was actually somewhere else.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Mogs

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Not sure if have used IGI (International Genealogical Index) on www.familysearch.org. It's free to use.
If you do what is called a 'parent search', you will see up to 10 children showing for William Ferrier and Elspeth Gibb, including Alexander's details:

ALEXANDER FERRIER Birth: 22 SEP 1833 Kirkden, Angus

To do a parent search, once you are on the IGI screen, simply put in the father and mother's full names on the r/h side. The British Isle/Scotland and then press search.

Try doing the same thing for Alexander and Elizabeth Dear and you will see they show at least 8 children (maybe more as IGI stops around 1874).

Not sure how much you have already. Have you looked for the families in the censuses etc.?

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 20:25 BST (UK) »
This looks to be William and Elspet in 1851 - everyone showing as born in Kirkden, Forfarshire except for Elspeth:

Wm Ferrier 46, mason
Elspet Ferrier 49, b. St Vigeans, Forfarsh
Alexr Ferrier 17, mason
James Ferrier 15, appr mason
Isabella Ferrier 13
Agnes Ferrier 7
Wm Stewart 2

Address: Sea Cottage, Inverkeilor

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary