Author Topic: 1848 'Forfarshire' to SA  (Read 4911 times)

Offline tyr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ted
    • View Profile
Re: 1848 'Forfarshire' to SA
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 08:51 BST (UK) »
From the Biographical Index

STIL(L)WELL William b: c1819 Southampton HAM
ENG d: 5.11.1881 bd: Kangarilla/Clarendon SA
err: 1849 DuxE OF WELLINGTON occ: Agricultural
Labourer, Storekeeper use Bakers Gully
m: by 1849 ENG Ellen b: c1830

So that is saying they came out as a married couple - I will go and look at the Duke of Wellington passenger list.... Yes they are there - William 30, ag labourer from Northamptonshire, Elen 19 from Northamptonshire.  From FreeBDM William Stillwell and Ellen Biddle married in the June qtr of 1841 in Farnham.

Did you have this one?  Shall I look for children?

Kind regards
Jill
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk uk

1700 - 1850 (Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire): RICHES, BOND, MONEY, FOSTER, POTTER, MOBS. COPELAND
1750 - > (Devon, Hampshire) HUTTON, LONGMAN
STEED from Kent
PERRETT from Wiltshire

Offline tyr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 09:23 BST (UK) »

I just lost a whole post - what a pest! I hope I can remember what I said :-)

There is a picture of the Stillwell House in a book I have - would you like that?
Ellen Biddle's birth is in the IGI - parents James and Elizabeth and there are another four children. 

Can only find one child for William Stilwell and Ellen - 

Surname: STILWELL
Given Names: James
Date: 1852-03-20
Sex: M
Father: William STILWELL
Mother: Ellen BIDDLE
Birth Place/Residence: Adelaide
District Code: Ade
Symbol:
Book: 4
Page: 5
Cross Reference:

Let me know if I am on the correct track.

Kind regards
Jill

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk uk

1700 - 1850 (Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire): RICHES, BOND, MONEY, FOSTER, POTTER, MOBS. COPELAND
1750 - > (Devon, Hampshire) HUTTON, LONGMAN
STEED from Kent
PERRETT from Wiltshire

Offline Lilygirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Thanks for your interest.

Ellen is a daughter of James and Elizabeth chr 1830 East Worldham.

I had the marriage for WIlliam Stillwell as June qtr 1849. They arrived in SA in Nov 1849 on Duke of Wellington.

Ellen is a sister to James (wife of Ann) that came on the Forfarshire.

I have Ellen in the 1841 census East Worldham age 11 with James aged 55 and Elizabeth age 55 also an Emma Bittle age 3 - Emma looks like another child of James and Elizabeth's but not really confirmed yet. They had my James that came to Aust b 1811, Jane 1813, Elizabeth 1815, Hannah or Harriot 1817 (can't account for her can't find marriage so far or death), Caroline 1819 (came to SA too m Erle then Richard Pallant), Ann 1821(have possible marriage but not confident on that), Amelia 1823, George 1826, Ellen 1830 and then maybe this Emma about 1838. The first few were chr in Kingsley the rest in East Worldham.
I can account for most of them with the help of census entries but there's a couple still unsure of
I had Ellen's 2nd marriage but didn't realise there was a 3rd thanks for that.

I don't really see I've got any way of finding more out about Ann nee HARDING.
I have a copy of the parish record of her and James marriage in 1835 Binsted and know she wasn't born in the county from the 1841 census for her and James. So not sure where to look next.

Any suggestions??
Thanks again.
Lilygirl
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lilygirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 10:29 BST (UK) »
Just me again,
Thanks for the offer of the Picture of the Stillwell house. I'd really like to see it if it's not too much trouble.

YOu said you checked the passenger list - were there any other Stillwells aboard in 1849?
Do you know where it left from?

Do you have access to other passenger lists at all?
I stumbled on a 3rd sister that arrived with 2 other sisters and their families which was hugely exciting recently that was a list I found on a page online just happened to be one of the boat's I was after which really helped my research of that particular line.

Bye for now
Lilygirl

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peter strelan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 May 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
William and Mercy Meader from Bramshott/Headley, Hampshire arrived in Sth Australia in feb 1856. The deposits paid for them were paid by a James Biddle. Meaders went to Kangarilla/Clarendon which is where I gather Biddles lived. William had been an avid preacher in the Bible Christian Church but gave up due to deafness. James Biddle, I gather, was also a member of this church. I was wondering if they may have known each other in Hampshire? We cannot find the grave of his son william's wife Dorothy Meader nee Black who died in childbirth in 1877 in Kangarilla. Do you have any knowledge of Meader connection with James Biddle or of any church records in Clarendon area for the Bible Christian Church?

Offline Leahh

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 July 20 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

I believe I live on the old property in Clarendon South Australia that William Stilwell once owned.

I believe he owned a post office/store on our property. Unfortunately one of the two dwelling on our property is now just a ruin but we are interested in rebuilding it. I believe the ruin was once the old post office/Store

You mentioned a few years ago that you have a photo of Williams house/property and I am interested to know if this is a photo of the property in South Australia?
I would be very interested in seeing a photo of it if it is?

Thank you so much
Leah