Author Topic: Timothy and Catherine QUIRK from Kerry  (Read 3407 times)

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Timothy and Catherine QUIRK from Kerry
« on: Friday 24 March 06 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello from Australia!

From the  passenger list, for the "Lady Ann", I have just learnt that Timothy Quirk, his wife Catherine and daughters Honora and Mary, as well as Timothy's brother, Michael, left Kerry in 1857 to sail to Australia.

Timothy was 30 and his brother 24 .

Family story has mention of Milltown.

I was hoping that I might be able to learn from whence the brothers came as well as the names of parents and any other siblings. Also is it possible to confirm that Honora was born in or near Milltown? Honora was 3 in 1857.

I would appreciate any assistance or advice as to how I might pursue this further.

Thanks

Elsie

Offline biddybarracks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Timothy and Catherine QUIRK from Kerry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 July 06 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hello. I think that I might have some information that might be of use to you; I am assuming that you refer to Miltown in Mid-Kerry (as opposed to Milltown in Dingle). I'll just give you all the information I have on any Quirk(e)s that have been listed as living in the Parish of Miltown (regardless of townland as you have not specified one as of yet). In the Tithe Applotment Books (ca. 1824-1826) there was a Jeremiah Quirke listed as occupying land in the townland of Brackhill (on the Castlemaine side of Miltown). By Griffith's Valuation (ca. 1853), there no longer are any Quirkes listed in that area of the town. There are a few Quirks listed in the Tithe Applotment up the Killarney Road side of Miltown: Paddy Quirk of Canureagh, Michael Quirk of  Knockreigh, Timothy Quirk and Patrick Quirk of Knockeens (Beaufort). Griffith's Valuation has Timothy and Patrick Quirk in Listry (just a stone's throw from Knockeens) so I am assuming that these are either the same men or they are offspring of same. Then in Knockreagh we have John Quirk and in Farranmanagh, Michael Quirk and John Quirk. These two townlands are right next to each other and I believe that we can safely assume that the Michael from the Tithe Applotment is the same as the one from Griffith's. I also believe the the John in Knockreagh is the same as the one in Farranmanagh and that he just has land taken in both townlands. Finally, Griffith's lists a John Quirk in Hogg's Lane in the town proper. There are still Quirkes living in the Miltown area. I am not sure whether the Quirk(e)s listed in Brackhill and Hogg's Lane would be related to the others but the ones out the Killarney Road area certainly are. As a matter of fact, there is still a Quirke living in Knockeens in Beaufort. I hope this is of some help.

Offline biddybarracks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Timothy and Catherine QUIRK from Kerry
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 July 06 19:59 BST (UK) »
By the way, you can check out a transcript of Griffith's Valuation for the parish of Kilcolman (i.e. Miltown) yourself at the following link: http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlker/griffkilcol1.html.