Author Topic: St. Patricks, Navan Road  (Read 40846 times)

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
Re: ST PATRICKS NAVAN ROAD
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 November 06 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering would any one know where I might find some old photographs or postcards of St Patricks Navan Road, I have only managed to find one link on the net.

Erin

I found this picture taken at Christmas time in the Orphanage

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline If Only

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: St. Patricks, Navan Road
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 November 06 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Erin21,

The film "the Magdalene Sisters" is on Channel 4 tonight at 10.00 pm.

It is quite a harrowing picture, but worth watching to gain an insight into the thinking of the authorities at the times......as a Catholic I never understood the fixation that the Nuns had about sex......frustation??

Joe
Hickey, Graham (Offaly, Dublin, Scotland)
Maguire, Morgan (Cavan, Dublin, Louth)
Clifton (Kent)
Creasey (sussex
Davis, Judge (Ireland, Dublin, Kildare)
Metcalfe, Pratt (Yorkshire Dales)
Rice (sussex)
Brady (Cavan. Dublin)
Kent (Oxford,Kent, London, Sussex)
Patten (Essex, London, Kent)
Ridg(e)well (Toppesfield, Essex)

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 November 06 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Joe

I have family members and friends who are nuns and they are the most delightful and caring people.

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline If Only

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 December 06 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Erin,

Sorry, guilty of generalizing.....I should have said some nuns......did you watch the film?

Joe
Hickey, Graham (Offaly, Dublin, Scotland)
Maguire, Morgan (Cavan, Dublin, Louth)
Clifton (Kent)
Creasey (sussex
Davis, Judge (Ireland, Dublin, Kildare)
Metcalfe, Pratt (Yorkshire Dales)
Rice (sussex)
Brady (Cavan. Dublin)
Kent (Oxford,Kent, London, Sussex)
Patten (Essex, London, Kent)
Ridg(e)well (Toppesfield, Essex)

Offline giving up for a while

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 December 06 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I was reading this thread and it made me cry I spent a lot of my childhood and my early teens in the goodshepards convent in cork  and it was discusting what they were allowed to do to us. I have so many times wondered why? As a result of my upbringing I am determind to trace my roots. I also wonder what happened to a lot of the children that I grew up with. I have met up with some and others have died along the way but some children were shipped out never to be heard of again. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. ???

Love Anne

Ps. I watched the film before it was released and it was only the tip of the iceberg of what went on.
census records are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 January 07 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Anne

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Erin  ;)

Offline cathy kelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 21:24 BST (UK) »
I know its Nov.06 you posted your notice for St.Patricks Navan Road Dublin,But mabe you still have information on it.My mother was born to a single mother 3/6/1931 they arrived to St.Patricks on the 18/05/1931.She remained there untill 11/11/1935 where she was placed in a house in Lucan Co.Dublin.My information might help you or you might have information to help me.

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 October 08 18:48 BST (UK) »
Cathy
This is the photo I promised you in thePM
Erin :)

Offline emma11811

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 21:12 BST (UK) »
hi i was in st patricks home navan road as a baby for over a year untill i was adoptied i live just behind it and would see the girls going to the shop most were from the country, it lay idel for years and then it was knocked down to build houses it looked like a sad deery place
emma