Author Topic: Clark & Aitchison Family in Duns  (Read 4953 times)

Offline vanessac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Clark & Aitchison Family in Duns
« on: Saturday 25 March 06 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Looking to correspond with anybody who may be related to the following families living in Duns in the 1800's  Names are:

George Clark b 1787Polwarth , d 1853, broomhill Farm, Duns, buried Preston Cemetery

his wife

Helen Aitchison, born 1791, Polwarth, died 1845, cockburn

Their children

Agnes Clark, m William Aitchison b 1813
Christina Clark, m James Reid b 1814
John Clark, born 1818
George Clark, m Nicholas Robertson b 1823
Isobel Clark, b 1826
Margaret Clark, b 1829

Christina and James Reid, seem to have stayed in the Duns Area, although James died at Earlston

George Clark and Nicholas Robertson, moved to Loanknowe and they had a family of 4 sons and 3 daughters, George b 1852, Margaret b 1854, James b 1856, Helen b 1858, David b 1861, John b 1864, Nicholas b 1867.

Im sure there must be some long lost clark relatives still living in the Duns area, would love to be able to get some photographs of the Duns township

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clark & Aitchison Family in Duns
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 07 22:12 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 June 07 15:37 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't seen these already have a look at this website for information on Duns.
http://www.duns.bordernet.co.uk/
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/duns/duns/
http://www.discovertheborders.co.uk/search/area/Duns.html
Hopefully someone from the families you are researching will contact you too.

I have Clarks in my tree but they are from the Ayton area.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline vanessac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 June 07 20:24 BST (UK) »
thats great, thanks so much for that

Offline Gaberston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 January 13 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have Clark ancestors in Midlothian and think there may be a link with George Clark of Broomhill farm, Polwarth.
I suspect George may be the son of George Clark (1757-1831) of Pathhead, Crichton parish and his wife Christian Sprott.  There is a gap of 4 years between his sons Adam (b1789 in Edinburgh) and Henry (b.1793 Crichton) which may be when George was born?  I cant find a record.   
George's grandson William Langlands (1817-89) emigrated to New Zealand and formed a Builders partnership with Henry Clark (b1821), son of George Clark and Helen Aitchison - dosbanded in 1859.   
May be a coincidence but Henry was a carpenter, the profession of George Clark and his sons ?

Regards

Steven