Author Topic: Letters to the Past (not literally, of course!!)  (Read 3567 times)

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • (Pictured) My G-G Grandfather Thomas John Hill.
    • View Profile
Letters to the Past (not literally, of course!!)
« on: Thursday 07 October 04 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi!!
I have been giving serious consideration to writing letters to the houses which some of my Great Grandparents (etc.) used to live in. I have several addresses, which exist today. My reasoning for wanting to do this is that I would love to find out from a complete stranger that their ancestors used to live in my home (not that my home is old enough really). That may sound a little strange to some of you out there, but I’d love to hear your opinions.

Should I write? Shouldn’t I? What should I say? Have you ever done it before?

Thanks!!

;D
HILL/BURKE/BELCHER/BIGNELL/BADHAM/COX/BLAKE/YELDHAM in London
HOPKINS/HART/MATTHEWS/MUNSON/FARLEY in Exeter & Mid Devon
FEREDAY in The Potteries & Tipton
ADAMS/MUSCUTT/ELSBY/BRIDGENS/BURKE/BELL/RAINBOW in The Potteries
O’CALLAGHAN/O’BRIEN in Cork
BURKE/FITZPATRICK in Birmingham
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury
YELDHAM/RAVEN/MUNSON/BIGNELL in Essex
BLAKE/CHANDLER in Wickham Market, Suffolk

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Letters to the Past (not literally, of course!!)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 October 04 23:01 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't it be wonderful for someone to reply with photographs or a room plan of the house your ancestors used to live in?

Your ancestors may have even lived in one cramped room of the house, with another six families sharing the same property. And all this space may now be occupied by a family of four who think it is too small !

I can see a problem with the recipient of the strange request thinking that it is a new way for criminals to get a look at the inside of their property.

If I were you, I would enclose copies of census returns of your family living at the address, and also enclose a stamped addressed envelope to encourage the recipient to reply to you.

Let us know if you have any replies...

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 October 04 09:37 BST (UK) »
I've always been tempted (but never dared !!) to go and knock on the door of a house owned by one of my ancestors and to ask if I could have a look in their attic in the hope that there might be something of interest up there  :)
I'd give it a go Ryan, you've got nothing to lose.  I agree with Rhonda enclose a sae, and hope for the best.
Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Blades/Donson - Lincolnshire
Forward - Hull/Lincolnshire/Polperro
Fryman - Grimsby
Seed - Dewsbury/Lincolnshire
McIlduff - Portadown/Glasgow
McIntosh - Aberdeen/Glasgow
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 October 04 11:42 BST (UK) »
Sadly, all the houses my lot lived in have been demolished, but my brother sent me a photo of the street where my g grandparents lived in 1900, all that was left was the dip in the kerb where the street used to be.  When i go shopping in leeds i always go out of my to pass it and give a little wave.   The people in the factory there must think i'm barmy!

I'd certainly follow the advice and send of a SAE.  You never know, you might even be invited round for tea!
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 October 04 13:11 BST (UK) »
I think it is a great idea,  what is the worst that can happen?  Someone may think you are a nutcase and throw your letter in the bin.

But what if your letter finds a family or local historian?  It is possible,   and they may be as enthusiastic as you. 

Take a look at the link below to see what did not happen,  all for the lack of a letter.  :(

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9611.0

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 October 04 13:20 BST (UK) »
I recently discovered that my daughter was living quite close to the home of a 19th century ancestor. On one visit to the daughter, I stopped on the way & knocked on the door. The lady of the house was very welcoming, told me much more about the house than I knew & also some detail of my relatives. It was a lovely old home (in Australia 100 years is old), looked after with care & she had obviously studied its history. So I think the worst response will be none - definitely worth a try.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 October 04 14:42 BST (UK) »
when my sis and l paid a visit to redlynch in wiltshire, a few weeks back we had spent hours driving round the villages just taking in the views. We were just going to head back home when my sister said oh my god! she was looking at an old brass plaque on the wall of a really old brick cottage.Days farm cottage .Our g.grandfathers b.cert. stated born days farm 1876 father ag.labourer. We had all our collection with us, and knocked on the door. The couple inside not only invited us in,but asked to see everything we had and said take as many pictures as you like( i vote for  knocking on the door)or youll never know!
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 October 04 16:16 BST (UK) »
Knock on the door!!!  I tracked down the old water mill one of my relies used to own, told the owners the history & I got a guided tour!  Got shown some old photos of the mill, which I took photos of.  It was such a thrilling experience.  That REALLY is putting the flesh on the bones!
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 October 04 16:43 BST (UK) »
What can you lose?   Go for it!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk