Author Topic: Clarence and Harry Thetford.  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Josh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clarence and Harry Thetford.
« on: Saturday 25 March 06 21:35 GMT (UK) »

Clarence Thetford of Salford (b. Sep qr 1893) arrived at Ellis Island, New York, on 1st Feb 1914, aged 21 on the ship Carmenia out of Liverpool, being listed as a resident of Warrington. He had a son, Harry Thetford (b.16 Nov 1917) in New York and moved back to England bringing his son with him at the end of the War.

I am trying to find out who Harry's mother was. Clarence was working on the ships during World War I in New York when Harry was born. Possibly shipbuilding. Presumably that is when he met Harry's mother. Can anyone help?

Clarence was married to Agnes HOLDEN, Jun Qr. 1952 in Heywood Dist. She was born about 1892, died Dec Qr. 1967 in Heywood Dist., aged 75 and I think that this was Clarence's second wife.

josh.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clarence and Harry Thetford.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 06 14:04 BST (UK) »
http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/genealogy.htm - you can try to get Harry's birth certificate from NY.  If his mother didn't come back to England then it would be hard to find anything about her any other way.

You could get hold of the second certificate to see if Clarence is listed as widower or not.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk