Author Topic: From Ag Labourers to Railway workers from Peterborough  (Read 2259 times)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
From Ag Labourers to Railway workers from Peterborough
« on: Sunday 26 March 06 14:45 BST (UK) »
In my tree I have the Moulds/Mould/Molds family.  On census returns they start off as Ag Labourers and then towards the end of the 1800s they nearly all end up on the railway as track layers, stokers and drivers.  Although they all start off near Peterborough, some end up in Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire to name a couple of places.  Strangely distant cousins with the same name, born within a couple of years and a couple of miles of oneanother end up with the same job and name a child the same name.  They did not grow up in the same area, as on moved away as a child!

So if there is anyone out there searching for Mould/Moulds with a railway background please contact me! :D

CJ
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline Jamiel42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: From Ag Labourers to Railway workers from Peterborough
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 November 06 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi CJ

My Mould family first came to Peterborough from Langtoft Lincolnshire. The Father John Thomas was a journeyman baker.
They were living on Bright Street in 1901 not far from my Lawrance family.

The at least two sons of John Thomas Mould ended up with various jobs on the railway and the daughter Martha married William Lawrance who also worked on Peterborough station.

I can trace the Lawrance descendants to Bourne, again moving with the railway, but do not know much about the Mould descendants. Family stories say that one son kept a garage on what I believe is now the coach park along side what is left of Bright Street and two others fought in WW1.

Jamie
Lawrance - Hunts
Marvin, Hare, Fowler - S. Lincs
Mould - S.Lincs, Peterborough
Chambers, Hoyes - Lincs
Holmes - Sheffield, Connisborough
Whitney - Peterborough, S.Lincs, Lincoln.
Hinch - Stoke Dry, Rutland

Local History - Hanthorpe & Morton, Lincolnshire

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 November 06 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamie

It is nice to hear from a fellow Mould researcher.  My line kept the S so we are Moulds but some of them dropped it!

I have been contacted via GenesReunited by quite a few Moulds who originate from Lincolnshire.  I have my Moulds line back to the mid 1700s from the Apethorpe, Woodnewton and Southwick areas, moving to Woodcroft near Etton near Peterborough just before 1800 and staying in the Peterborough area until railways came onto the scene!

CJ
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline OneNightWright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi C J

Is this chat still open? I know its been a long time.

I have only just come across it and am researching the Mould(s) from  Woodnewton and Apethorpe
Wright, Love, Teagle, Gipson, Blessett, Ward, Fletton, Redhead, Mould

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 January 20 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi OneNightWright, sorry for the delay in replying, yes I am still researching the Moulds of that area.

CJ

Offline OneNightWright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 January 20 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi CJ

Thanks for getting back to me.

Do you have any information on Elizabeth Mould (1746 Woodnewto) and Henry Wright?

Thanks

Nick

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 January 20 11:28 GMT (UK) »
My Moulds/Molds started with Edward Charles Mould 1824 - 72 from Middlesex who travelled to Walsall Staffordshire and married a local lady and had a family. He was a brass caster.

One of his sons went to London others stayed in Walsall and were working at foundries as iron casters.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 April 20 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi CJ

Thanks for getting back to me.

Do you have any information on Elizabeth Mould (1746 Woodnewto) and Henry Wright?

Thanks

Nick

Yes Elizabeth is my husbands 1st cousin 7 times removed.  She was bapt in 1746 the daughter of Thomas and Mary (Askew) Moulds of Woodnewton, Nr Peterborough.

CJ

Offline OneNightWright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 April 20 09:24 BST (UK) »
That's great  :)

Do you have any further information on her?

I believe she marries a Henry Wright 2nd November 1772 at St Marys in Woodnewton, which is where i come in.

I believe Henry and Elizabeth are my 5 x Great Grandparents.

I don't know where Henry was born?

I have a book on Thomas and Rose Mould of Peterborough but doesn't give much information on Elizabeth?

Any information you have would be great

Thanks Nick