Author Topic: McEwan. Comrie perth  (Read 4299 times)

Offline drumkip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McEwan. Comrie perth
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 April 20 16:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party here, I'm also related to RRJ Drummond. Very interested in RobertR's GGranny, can you elaborate on her recollections please, did she give any clues on who Williams parents might be? Was she a Drummond from the same line?
I will try to get hold of William and Hannahs marriage cert, see if this gives any clues to the father.
Nice to meet you RobertR, we are decended from RRJ's eldest daughter Mary. We have running joke among the cousins regarding blue blood and castles, would love to speak to you in more detail,  regards Chris

Offline RobertR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Drumkip,
Welcome to the board. Not been here long myself.
My GGranny was indeed a daughter of RRJ, but by his second marriage to Elizabeth Ann MILOW.  Your ancestor Mary would be RRJ's child from marriage to his first wife Elizabeth MANSON (Nee BLAND) - it being her own second marriage.
Unfortunately my GGranny's comments is just a tale passed down from her son (my grandfather) via his daughter (my mother), so no more details than that.
The parish records of the marriage of William and Hannah (1924 - pre-GRO) only state "of this parish (William from Sculcoates, Hannah from St Marys). The Scotland link comes from the later censuses. The search for his birth/birthplace goes on though!

Offline RobertR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 19:25 BST (UK) »
That's 1824 of course!

Offline drumkip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob, so there is no fathers details on the marriage record then? that complicates matters even more. My mother met her GGranny Mary, what a fascinating woman. She ran boarding houses around the town centre in Hull following many years in the east end of london. You say RRJD went bankrupt? We did not know that.
lovely to make contact with you, look forward to finding out more, Chris

Offline kirkys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 May 20 19:18 BST (UK) »
 Hi all.had another check on my ancestry I now have William Drummond born in  1795 was married  to Hannah Rayner,in 1851 it looks like they lived at 7 new love>?,mew love ?Lane Tyson brick,not sure what all this means,,their son Thomas Drummond married Mary Ann Bright in 1858,Thomas was  born 1837 died 1912 was my great great grandad,his daughter Sabina Drummond ,my great grandma was Born in Hull in 1859 she Married Robson Clarkson in1880 in Grimsby,where my grandma Alice Clarkson and my mother was Born ;going to track back again now ,to make sure I have William born 1795 correct parents ,was going to do it last week but been busy with shut down and lovely weather been giving all  wooden garden furniture a sanding down and repaint ,

Offline RobertR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 May 20 21:13 BST (UK) »
The problem tracing the correct '1795' William is that they often fibbed about their age, usually to make themselves younger.

The William from Comrie is not our one.  He remained in Comrie, married there and died there in 1858. At the moment I have 14 other candidates between 1787 and 1797 that I'm researching. It's gonna be a long slog!

Offline cookson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 May 20 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hello peeps, enjoy reading your posts, live it when we bring people on board,
Bob, I made contact with you and Jan, a few years ago, like you had a bit of a break, doing other things in life, but got lots of time on my hands now, so can spend time persuing, those pesky rellies..
I have got the bit between my teeth again, on this new Drummond twist, having done my DNA, along with my brother and, cousin Chris, hopefully might get some fresh feedback.
Need to get our other cousin, Jim Curry on board, he loves a challenge.
I will endeavour to chase the Drum...
Regards to you....
Janice....
Kipling, Hull. Egan, Cork, Deptford, Southwark. Drummond, Perthshire, Scarborough. Rayner, Hull. Paterson, Lanarkshire. McShane, Armagh, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire. McNiven, Argylre. McEwen, Perthshire. Harbison, Armargh. Lavery, Armargh. Anderson, Ayrshire. Rae, Ayrshire. Graham, Dunbarton.

Offline RobertR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 May 20 12:03 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you Janice! I did send some bits to Chris as she said you'd been a bit poorly. Good to see you're back in the saddle, so to speak.

I've had my DNA done two ways, once with Ancestry and once from a lab at a genealogy show about eighteen years ago. I'm sure it would show a link between us though how we could trace that to Drummonds isn't so clear. Particularly if there is only a limited pool of people tested.

Anyway, it keeps us all busy in our dotage!!! All the best, Bob & Jan.