Author Topic: McEwan. Comrie perth  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: McEwan. Comrie perth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 April 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input into my Drummond Tree, but it would appear you have moved the goalposts somewhat
Well, it is 14 years since your original post :)

my great grandmother MARY ELIZABETH DRUMMOND shows she was born 1855 in SCARBOROUGH, to RICHARD RAYNER JAMES DRUMMOND and ELIZABETH BLAND.
Nothing in what has been posted since then even refers to that.

The only piece of new information is the proof that your great-great-great-grandfather William Drummond was not the son of William Drummond and Margaret McEwan, so you are almost certainly not related to the McEwans in Comrie.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cookson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 April 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at my first post, on the William Drummond , I made an error, in saying that, William and Margaret McEwen, came to Hull,
It was not them.
It was the William Drummond, born, 1796, who came to Hull, married, Hannah Rayner, and had my great, great, Grandad, Richard Rayner James Drummond... In 1828...
They later moved to, Scarborough, where Richard, married, Elizabeth Bland, and had my Great grandmother,
Mary Elizabeth Drummond, In 1855.
Went on to marry, Elizabeth Millow, and had more children with her.
Kipling, Hull. Egan, Cork, Deptford, Southwark. Drummond, Perthshire, Scarborough. Rayner, Hull. Paterson, Lanarkshire. McShane, Armagh, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire. McNiven, Argylre. McEwen, Perthshire. Harbison, Armargh. Lavery, Armargh. Anderson, Ayrshire. Rae, Ayrshire. Graham, Dunbarton.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 April 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at my first post, on the William Drummond , I made an error, in saying that, William and Margaret McEwen, came to Hull,
It was not them.
No, and the William who came to Hull was not their son, because their son William stayed in Comrie, married and had a family there, and died there in 1858.

Unlike English death certificates, Scottish death certificates normally record the names of the parents of the deceased, including the deceased's mother's maiden surname. That 1858 death certificate proves that the William Drummond who went to Hull was not that one.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cookson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 April 20 14:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, I know about the Scottish certs, as I have been working on my family's tree, a long time, and my DNA results show that I have mostly Scottish, and Irish genes, I have done research at the Mitchell library, with my cousin who lives in Glasgow., Like you say, that post was from the beginnings of my family search.
I have been battling with serious health issues, in last few years, so my research has been put on hold, I have to have my cousin in Hull with me to research now, as I suffer with memory loss, and concentration now, I have passed your findings on to her, and she is I'm somewhat agreement with you on certain points.
Given us another project to follow up on lockdown 😂
Thanks for your interest.
Janice, + Chris.
Kipling, Hull. Egan, Cork, Deptford, Southwark. Drummond, Perthshire, Scarborough. Rayner, Hull. Paterson, Lanarkshire. McShane, Armagh, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire. McNiven, Argylre. McEwen, Perthshire. Harbison, Armargh. Lavery, Armargh. Anderson, Ayrshire. Rae, Ayrshire. Graham, Dunbarton.

Offline cookson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 April 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
The family of my William Drummond.
Spouse. Hannah Rayner, Hull,1800
Richard Rayner James Drummond,1827
William Harland Drummond, 1830
John Martin Drummond, 1834
Thomas Sawdon Drummond, 1837
Henry Drummond, 1839
Sarah Ann Drummond, 1843.
Richard , William, and Thomas, born Hull
John, Henry, Sarah, born Scarborough.

Offline RobertR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 April 20 10:17 BST (UK) »
Good morning Janice,
Sorry to hear of your health problems. Hope you're not too seriously inconvenienced by the lockdown.
I've done all the thorough research from William Drummond in Hull downwards, including his bankruptcy, marriage, family and so on. I'm descended from RRJ, who seems to have a somewhat checkered history, eventually ending up in a pauper's grave two steps away from my GGGrandfather on another branch, who has a magnificent tombstone. Walking the places and their history does 'flesh' them out.
My great-grandmother (herself a Drummond) always said to my mother: "Never forget you've got blue blood in your veins. You're from the HIGHLAND Drummonds". To which my Grandfather replied: "Well it's bl***y thin by now!".
Anyway, there are a lot of candidates for our William who went to Hull. But beyond DoB approximations, I haven't yet found any corroborating evidence to support one or the other. The one thing I do know is that I can discount the one from Comrie.
Do you have any further information that confirms the link to the 1796 William?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 April 20 11:02 BST (UK) »
Where did the idea come from that William Drummond who went to Yorkshire was born in 1796? See my Reply #7 above.

Offline RobertR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 April 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
That's what I'm asking.

If this lady has some corroborating evidence then fine. Otherwise the only way of tracing may be to eliminate candidates one by one by tracing down their lines to find the only possible one.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 April 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
Indeed.

Good luck with that! It will be easy enough if any of them died in Scotland after 1855, but some could have died before that or elsewhere.