Author Topic: "Native" of Whitchurch Shropshire?  (Read 2357 times)

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
"Native" of Whitchurch Shropshire?
« on: Monday 27 March 06 02:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Does being a "native" of a place mean that the person was born there?
I have a puzzle in that my John PORTER, who I was led to believe, was born in Newburn, Northumberland, now has been quoted on his son's christening, to be a native of Whitchurch, Shropshire.
Thankyou to anyone who can help with this.
Pauline
Calthorpe ,Colyer, Davy, , Grant, Guest, Hannington, Harding, Hartley, Hughes, Macro ,Marchant,  McKindoe , Moffet ,Morgans Musgrave, , Mort, Nicholson, Patterson, Porter,Smith, Roddis, Schofield, Scholefield, Smith.

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: "Native" of Whitchurch Shropshire?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 06 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,

I would have thought it meant "born" there - but perhaps it could be used to mean brought up - so doesn't help much.

Do you have any census details - are they consistant ??

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,
Unfortunately is was too early for census details, but the whole family were from Northumberland so I'll go with that. If you have the 1841 census, he might just be on that. He'd be about 51 years old. Now I look at the ages, he could even be on the 1851! Do you have them Keith, or should I ask everyone?
Cheers
Pauline
Calthorpe ,Colyer, Davy, , Grant, Guest, Hannington, Harding, Hartley, Hughes, Macro ,Marchant,  McKindoe , Moffet ,Morgans Musgrave, , Mort, Nicholson, Patterson, Porter,Smith, Roddis, Schofield, Scholefield, Smith.

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi again Keith - had a major senior moment. My first comment about being to early for census details was correct! I then went on to give his sons ages etc.
John and Alice were already producing children in 1783, so am pretty sure they wouldn't be on any census.  Sorry!!!
Pauline

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,

No problem - with the ages!!  ;D ;D

The local library has the 1841 census for Whitchurch and the local area - if you think any might be around then let me know the details.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Bradley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 May 06 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline.

I am looking for Porters from Co Durham.  I have a John Porter from Shadforth died 1874 aged 53.  Is it the same one? son called Ralph.  I am afraid I havent got any further back but have my direct family lieage from there.
Brad

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 May 06 21:14 BST (UK) »
I hope you don't mind me butting in here!!!! but to save Keith a trip to his local library I have looked at the 1841 and there are 4 John Porter's listed living in Whitchurch.

They are aged 45, 25, and two 5 year olds.

Would you like the details?

Jan :)

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan - I am so terribly sorry not to have replied sooner - my life seems to be one continual race! Plus I went and visited my brother and sister-in-law for a week and directed all my mail into the Drafts folder.  So what am I doing now, but finding all these replies to my post!
If you still have those details Jan, I would be very grateful to have them, but if not, I totally understand!  :-[
Many apologies,
Pauline

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 June 06 18:33 BST (UK) »
I can look them up for you again, no problem at all ;)

Will post the details later.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand