Author Topic: William Kilbourne KAY  (Read 5445 times)

Offline BernardM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Kilbourne KAY
« on: Monday 27 March 06 14:47 BST (UK) »
I am researching the history of Kay & Co Ltd, the mail-order company, and I am now trying to compile the biography of William Kilbourne KAY, the founder.

William was born in September 1856 in Landport, Portsea (Hampshire) to John KAY and Ann (nee BUCKLER).  I cannot trace any record of either of his parent's names in the Portsmouth or surrounding areas.  Does anyone have a reference that could assist in determining his mother and father's ages and origins. 

William must have come to Worcester in the early 1870s but after the census of 1871.  By 1881 he was employed as a "jeweller's assistant" working for John Martin SKARRATT at his shop in Broad Street, Worcester.

Married to Jessie FARENDEN in February 1883, the newly married couple lived "above the shop" of Skarratt & Co.

On the marriage certificate, William has used the middle name KILBOURNE, yet he was not registered at birth with this name but it is one that he used throughout the remainder of his life (He died in May 1929).  Where does this name originate and why did he start to use it, are just two questions that need answers.

In 1886, KAY went into partnership with George JONES, a local architect and they opened up a jeweller's shop in Worcester, which operated until 1890 when JONES left the partnership.  It was after this time that KAY started "Kays of Worcester, a universal store", that evolved into the mail-order catalogue company.

Whereas two of his three sons were given the middle name of KILBOURNE, his middle son, Edwin, was given the middle name of ODY.  I have yet to trace why this name was used.

I am also trying to obtain images of the homes that KAY lived in and am desperate to discover some of "The Elms" at Battenhall.  This large home was originally built for the ALLSOPP family of brewing fame.

I have put similar messages onto the counties of Hampshire and Kent, hoping that I can get some information relating to William KAY's origins

Thank you in anticpation

Bernard Mills

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: William Kilbourne KAY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 06 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernard,

There is a book on the history of Kays available to purchase in Worcester History Centre (where I obtained my copy) if this is of any interest to you.

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline BernardM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 06 22:44 BST (UK) »
Dear Phil,

I know about the book.  I wrote it!!  Check the name of the author.

I am the chairman of the Kays Heritage Group (www.kaysheritage.org.uk) and as I say in my introduction, I am now writing the biography of the founder,William K Kay, hence my requests to the family historians.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernard,

Small world aint it? I wonder if you can help me with a queery about William only my late Gradfather was one of a winning team of GWR first aiders & I have a picture of them when they were presented with the Kilbourne K cup for first aid & I wonder if this has anything to do with your William Kilbourne Kay.

Sorry to sidetrack you but its an unusual name to me & I think it may well be connected - I do hope that you are able to set me straight on this one

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline BernardM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 March 06 07:56 BST (UK) »
W K Kay did donate a great deal of monies and time to charitable work during his lifetime.  It is highly likely that the cup that you mention is one donated by him to the GWR.

Kays did have the contract to supply clocks, watches and timepieces to the GWR railway so such a donation of a cup is probable.

If you have details or a picture featuring the cup I would be very interested.

From what period does your grandfather's success come?  Do you know if the cup still exists in a museum.

My father-in-law was a St John's Ambulance member and first-aider on the British Railways for his entire 50 years career and he won various medals over the years.  He relates a tale that at one time there were so many cups and medals in the station that the railway management had them all melted down and had a commemorative medal made out of the metal.  This medal was then presented to those who had won the cups etc..

Bernard

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 March 06 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernard,

Yes I have a photo (that was my grandad's) of the entire winning team & it was identified for me by my late Mum.

To give you a rough idea of the date of the photo - my grandad (Frank William Gomm) was born in 1892 & still looks a young man on the photo (in his late 20s I would say).

If you let me have your e mail address I will get a mate of mine to scan the photo for me so that I can send it to you.

By the way the photo shows the cup as well as the cantens of cutlery that the men also were presented with (I still have one of the full canteens).

All the very best

Phil 

ps my e mail address is email address removed by moderator - please use the secure Rootschat personal message system to exchange personal email addresses - thankyou
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 April 06 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernard,

Sorry about the delay with the photo but my mate who does the scaning for me is in Torquay at the moment & I shall have to wait for him to get back

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline GeorgeKay9512017

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 April 21 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am a descendant of the Kay’s and would love to answer any questions you have.
George kay

Offline Myrt

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 April 23 17:05 BST (UK) »
Good day,
Upon researching the mark/origins of my small tea set (6.5" teapot), I came across this site and the Q&A dating back to 2006. It is a gold/electroplated set consisting of the teapot; two drinking cups (no glass liners); two plates; one sugar bowl. The only visible signature is "K&Co. on the plates."
After a long career in banking in Miami, Florida, I became an antique dealer; however, the most I could find through the years was a reference to William Kilbourne; Kay Trading, Kay & Co; Kay & Co. Ltd. plus a watch FOB medal engraved K&Co (No longer available). As I suspected, the mark belonged to a trading company; hence, it does not identify the maker. It has not been tested for silver (at best, 800 silver), and I have no idea of the manufacture date. I would appreciate any information you or another reader may have on this set. My Best,
Myrt