Author Topic: downpatrick cemetery  (Read 13174 times)

Offline susan3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
downpatrick cemetery
« on: Monday 27 March 06 18:00 BST (UK) »
There are 4 Quayle (Quaile) headstones listed in Downpatrick Cathedral Graveyard. Who can a person contact to find out if they are related or even next to each other?

I'm looking for more information on Daniel Quayle who was buried there in 1860.  The stone wa erected by his son Francis.  I'm trying to work my way backwards.  Daniel was a nail maker and married to Ellen (last name unknown).
Son Francis was born in 1828.  If anyone can do lookups on his brith or Daniel and Ellen's marriage pleas let me know.  I assume they attended Downpatrick Cathedral.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: downpatrick cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 06 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan,

21st September 1811
William Quayle from Downpatrick emigrated for New York sailing on the
ship "Maria Duplex" The ship sailed from Belfast http://freespace.virgin.net/alan.tupman/sites/irp8.htm
6th May 1911 - Downpatrick
Mr Quayle, Co. Down attended the Sinn Fein Teacher's Association meeting
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Q.htm
8th August 2003
Tributes from the Church of Ireland Gazette to Godfrey Quayle.
www.gazette.ireland.anglican.org/080803/tributes080803.htm
I feel it is safe to say that Daniel, Ellen and their family attended services at Down Cathedral in the 1800s
There are several messages about Quail. Quaile from Downpatrick and the surrounding area on this Genforum site:- http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?forum=quail&url=%2Fquail%2F&path=%2Fquail%2F&terms=Downpatrick&boolean=AND
R. J. S. Clarke wrote a series of books.."Gravestone Inscriptions" Some of the volumes cover Co. Cown but I am not sure if the graveyard at Down Cathedral is mentioned.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline susan3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 06 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

Thank you for the info...one might assume they'd be brothers...especially since Francis named his oldest son William.

Offline Baba1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 July 06 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

The Gravestones Inscriptions series which covers Down cathedral is number 7.
Here are the entries for Quail/Quayle:

Quail
Here lyeth the body of John Quail late of Downpatrick who departed this life .... April 1785 aged 76 (or 70- unclear) years.

Quayle
I.H.S. Sacred to the memory of Daniel Quayle and his beloved wife Ellen who departed this life in 1860.
Erected by their son Francis. F. Quayle, Brooklyn, New York, USA.

regards,
Briege

Offline Mistapol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 07 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I am a Quaile and it seems that we were in the Downpatrick area after comming from Magheraleggen, I think in Derry. We are short of some information but Edward Quaile was baptized in Downpatrick on 26th June 1777.  His aunt Ann, unmarried, died at Downpatrick in 1803.

Edward had two brothers, Robert Orr Quaile and Vere Essex Quaile, who were both in the 17th Lancers. Their sister Sophia was baptised in Downpatrick on 6th June 1785.

Apart from Edward nobody seems to have had any family. Sometime after 1804 Edward and his family seem to have moved to Southwest Scotland. Edward's youngest son James was born in Annan, Dumfriesshire in about 1809 and has descendents in New Zealand.

We have some information going back to about 1700 - research continues!!

Offline maryd

• My emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 March 07 18:58 BST (UK) »
Another entry in the Gravestone inscriptions book for Quail - In loving memory of James Quail, Clogher, Downpatrick, who died 27th August 1888 aged 60 years. His wife Mary Robb Quail died 28th November 1909 aged 86 years. Elizabeth Eleanor Jane, only daughter, died in infancy in 1865, James, second son died 17th February 1923. Henry Robert, fifth son, died 20th July 1929, Mary wife of James Quail died 26th February 1939.
There follows some details about letters of administration, which I could post if you wanted.
There are also Quail/ Quaile entries in the Downpatrick non-subscribing presbyterian graveyard and in Saul graveyard.

Mary
Denvir/ Denver anywhere - Cumberland/ Ireland
Lowery Cumberland
Bruce Cumberland
Downey Ireland
Christie
Graham Cumberland
Gribbin/ Gribben Isle of Man
Hebditch
O'Connor Cumberland
Vickers Cumberland

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 April 07 18:49 BST (UK) »
You are in luck I hope with the manuscript family trees for QUAIL in volume 16p126,  vol 16p150, vol 24p88 Downpatrick and QUAILE in vol 24p22 Magheralaggan. These are in the Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in the Linen Hall library, Belfast.  I suggest you ask them for photocopying estimates as your knowledge is relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing. However if the material is really good when you get it, I suggest a generous donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds. Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Telephone: +44 (0)28 9032 1707,  Fax: +44 (0)28 9043 8586, Email:info[at]linenhall.com.
Good old Reggie Blackwood, you are not forgotten
Good Luck, Jim

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 April 07 23:55 BST (UK) »
Name likely to derive from "doing honour to" Vere Essex CROMWELL, 4th Earl of Ardglas.

It got bandied about a bit:
e.g. Vere Essex LONERGAN, Vicar of Saintfield.
So, perhaps referring to him (as godfather?).

BLACKWOODs controlled Killyleagh, and eventually took over the HAMILTON's "Clandeboye" title through Dorcas STEVENSON.

[Daughter of Anne PRICE, aunt of Dorcas PRICE who married John WHITTLE of Lisburn on 01-MAY-1735!]

Linenhall Library a great place with great staff - very quiet and safe ... wouldn't know if anything was amiss within even 1/2 mile of you ...
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline Mistapol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 20:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks

At the moment our family tree starts:

A. N. Other Quaile married A. N. Other Lonegan sister of Rev. Vere Essex Lonegran (1677-1755)

Edward Quaile , their elder son (died 1758) was a millowner at Magheraleggan and was agent for Price of Holymount. Edward married Elizabeth Johnson, sister of the Bishop of Cloyne.