Author Topic: downpatrick cemetery  (Read 13156 times)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: downpatrick cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 23:03 BST (UK) »
Ros Davies Co Down website ie freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies
is very useful for this discussion eg Magheralagan Magheraleggin [townlands in civil parish of] Down .   NW of Downpatrick ; click here to see its location on a townland map; means '.... originally belonged to the Bishop of Down;....lake & mill in 1836; owned by heirs of Lord de Clifford & Francis Savage Esq.in 1836; there were 45 houses; 29 families employed in agriculture & 13 in trade; 134 males & 114 females; 4 manufacturers & 5 servants; I have indexed some of the Griifths Valuations from this townland in Surname Index LR 2005 p22; TCC p 33; V17 p 38, 49, 53, 55 OSM; GV
Magheralagan Lough Down 21: 44/44 lake ;4km WSW of Downpatrick; click here for a photo
I didnt searched Ros Davies for your surname etc. Sounds like you already have much information, good luck Jim.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 23:36 BST (UK) »
Susan,

Excellent!

Glad I didn't mess up your thread.

[I'd just made a breakthrough yesterday, connecting all the elements of a record in my research diary dating from 1991, and just had to let off steam somehow!]

The VERE surname comes from the powerful Earls of Oxford.
[Traceable back to Hastings.]

The ESSEX name derives from Thomas CROMWELL, 1st Earl of Essex, who was Henry VIII's Chief Minister.

[He did OK guiding Henry along his path of the split from Rome, but then made the mistake of  hastily arranging the marriage with the "Flanders Mare".  His head was chopped off, then boiled and displayed ... ugh!]

The PRICE family were big cheeses, High Sheriffs of Down, originally at Farranfad before taking over Hollymount (apparently from the SAVAGEs).

[The SAVAGEs were even bigger cheeses, Norman knights who came over with De COURCY in the 12thC.]

Major-General Nicholas PRICE bought Saintfield in 1709 and developed its industry.

His son, also NP, was MP for Lisburn, as was his son Francis PRICE (issue of Mary SEYMOUR-CONWAY).  NP's daughter Anne married James STEVENSON, MP for Killyleagh.

etc.

I notice that the water flowing from the hills through Downpatrick is called The Quoile River in its lower reaches ....

John
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 April 07 00:09 BST (UK) »
N. Price Esq.was the Lord of the Manor at Saintfield in 1837. The seat of the Lord of the Manor ( the Price family) is situated in a beautiful demesne, about a mile north of the town.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 April 07 10:00 BST (UK) »
Much more on the Price families in volumes 22p33T, 23p33 35 (OR volumes 33, 35,) and a gem in Volume 76 Typed 1936 and the PRICE-WILLIAMS in vol 52 again in Blackwood collection, Linen Hall library, Belfast
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 April 07 07:19 BST (UK) »
They were a pretty impressive looking bunch of guys. Paintings of them hung in the family home on the estate and they all looked down on us whenever we went there to play bridge with some members of the Perceval-Price family. There's an article about 'Col. M.C. Perceval-Price B.A., DL, JP 1907 - 2002' in the magazine Saintfield Heritage, No. 6, 2002. (Saintfield Heritage Society)

Offline Fish N Chipol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 September 10 15:52 BST (UK) »
Dear all

Apparently my Great Grandfather is buried in Downpatrick cemetery. His name was Anthony Alvez, or Antonio Alvez, depending on who I speak to.
Does anyone know how I can find out whether his grave is there? I live in England, so it is a bit tricky to get there until next summer.

He was an evacuee in the 1940s from Gibraltar.

Can anyone help? Does anyone know where I start looking?

Moderator's Comment: If anyone can help with this uery  please reply on new thread-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,482311.msg3409359.html#msg3409359

Offline norbertx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 May 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks

At the moment our family tree starts:

A. N. Other Quaile married A. N. Other Lonegan sister of Rev. Vere Essex Lonegran (1677-1755)

Edward Quaile , their elder son (died 1758) was a millowner at Magheraleggan and was agent for Price of Holymount. Edward married Elizabeth Johnson, sister of the Bishop of Cloyne.
Hello there, I'm a Quaile and can give you the family of Elizabeth Johnson. Sadly I've misplaced the family tree but it is full of Vere's and Cromwell's ( and thats just the girls). Best Wishes

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 May 11 23:34 BST (UK) »
 I have an Ann Quail who married William McIlheron 1 dec 1848 Saul and Ballee but they were Catholic and emigrated to Cumberland in England (after 1866 as all 8 children were born in Down) to find work so all these Quails sound too grand for them. I thought her father could have been James as that is the name of the second son. From her age on censuses she seems to have been born about 1832, claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline norbertx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 May 11 06:42 BST (UK) »
 the Quaile's with an e were Anglican hense Edward's marriage to the Bishops sister.  A few generations back Sir William Quaile was the Lord Mayor of Dublin and  his only child  Lady Somerville was the  wife of another Lord Mayor.