Author Topic: Donald of Clashneach & Mary Mackay  (Read 23663 times)

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald of Clashneach & Mary Mackay
« Reply #63 on: Monday 30 September 19 20:11 BST (UK) »
Yes you are correct.

Mary Calder's baptism is in Hew Morison on 31st March 1765, and her marriage on 5th February 1793.

The latter record reveals that Hugh Doun was deceased, and that his wife was Marion MacKenzie.

There's a daughter Christian recorded as baptised in Durine on 8th December 1795. She died in 1858 aged 62 and is buried in Balnakeil alongside her husband George Sutherland (1785-1835), their son George (1835-1892) and his wife Ann Campbell (1836-1903). George senior died on 19th April and his son was baptised on 21st April. There isn't a good match for a birth under his name in 1785 in Hew Morison. I have a picture of the gravestone.

William Sutherland may be the man from Durine who married Christian MacKay and fathered eight children between 1829 and 1843. His patronymic MacEonic doesn't fit (should be MacNish but the location is correct and it may just be a sloppy transcription).

Offline BMAM73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou very much for that. I do find it interesting that Marion Macbeth Manson was a governess to your ancestors, the Clarkes, in Keoldale, as Barbara Manson was living in Keoldale when she married Angus Mackay. Maybe she also worked for your family which could account for her being in Keoldale.
Anyway I will certainly share with you anything I find that may be relevant.

My 4 x great granny was Barbara Mackay (nee Manson) I came across your posts and discovered about her sisters Marion and Ann and her parents. New info for me - thank you! I've done some research on them. I'd be keen to compare notes.  Not sure if this old RootsChat is still alive but hope so

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou very much for that. I do find it interesting that Marion Macbeth Manson was a governess to your ancestors, the Clarkes, in Keoldale, as Barbara Manson was living in Keoldale when she married Angus Mackay. Maybe she also worked for your family which could account for her being in Keoldale.

My 4 x great granny was Barbara Mackay (nee Manson) I came across your posts and discovered about her sisters Marion and Ann and her parents. New info for me - thank you! I've done some research on them. I'd be keen to compare notes.  Not sure if this old RootsChat is still alive but hope so

BMAM73
Yes it is still alive and very pleased to hear from you. I responded to your original message but may have been months or years after you posted it so guess you didn't see it. From memory Marion married the Clarke who had the Eriboll farm and Ann was in Edinburgh and I found her will I think. I have it somewhere but need to find it.
So if Barbara and Angus were your 4 times which of their children was your 3x?
If you've found Barbara's parents then that's something I haven't managed to do despite years of looking.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Falconer Clarke (1802-77) and Marion MacBeth Manson had a son (probably Assistant Surgeon John Clarke) who got my Great-great-grandmother Cathrine Morrison pregnant out of wedlock in 1857

David Morrison (later David Clarke) died in a fishing accident in the Pentland Firth in June 1891. He is commemorated on his mother and stepfather's gravestone as their son, and sits for eternity as a silent rebuke twelve feet from the Clarke Gravestone

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Falconer Clarke (1802-77) and Marion MacBeth Manson had a son (probably Assistant Surgeon John Clarke) who got my Great-great-grandmother Cathrine Morrison pregnant out of wedlock in 1857

David Morrison (later David Clarke) died in a fishing accident in the Pentland Firth in June 1891. He is commemorated on his mother and stepfather's gravestone as their son, and sits for eternity as a silent rebuke twelve feet from the Clarke Gravestone

I may be wrong but did not Angus Mackay the miller also have a child with Cathrine Morrison?

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Different Cathrine Morrison. This one (1832-1922) married Robert MacDonald and farmed at Sangobeg. The croft share is still in family hands but the croft is uninhabitable.

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Different Cathrine Morrison. This one (1832-1922) married Robert MacDonald and farmed at Sangobeg. The croft share is still in family hands but the croft is uninhabitable.
Sorry got centuries mixed up. Angus did have twins John and Jean with a Catherine Morrison but in 1780. Must have lost them because he named a subsequent child John Jean. Reminds me of Johnny Cash and a boy named Sue.

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Sorry got centuries mixed up. Angus did have twins John and Jean with a Catherine Morrison but in 1780. Must have lost them because he named a subsequent child John Jean. Reminds me of Johnny Cash and a boy named Sue.
Mind you being named John Jean Mackay made him quite easy to find in America where a daughter became a minor Broadway star in Ziegfeld's Follies.
(sorry gone off topic)

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 28 March 24 16:25 GMT (UK) »

BMAM73
Yes it is still alive and very pleased to hear from you. I responded to your original message but may have been months or years after you posted it so guess you didn't see it. From memory Marion married the Clarke who had the Eriboll farm and Ann was in Edinburgh and I found her will I think. I have it somewhere but need to find it.
So if Barbara and Angus were your 4 times which of their children was your 3x?
If you've found Barbara's parents then that's something I haven't managed to do despite years of looking.
Apologies my post above is tosh. Barbara Manson's sister Marianne lived and died in Edinburgh unmarried. Another sister Anne married a James Simpson. So I know of no connection between Barbara Manson wife of Angus Mackay, miller, Badlehavish and Marion Manson who married Alexander Clarke of Eriboll.