Poll

Have you traced each of the four back a generation

Yes
295 (88.1%)
No
40 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 333

Author Topic: Four Trees -Our Great Grandmothers  (Read 149892 times)

Offline Zelley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Four Trees -Our Great Grandmothers
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 03:51 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can beat Gadget by having 3 out of the 4 with the same surname?

I've got masses of Jones lines - I think 10 or 11 ??? Would anyone like them - free to a good home ;)

Gadget

My closest Jones connection is a third cousin, but my spose has scores of Jones connections past & present in the region of Wrexham, North Wales.    Gosh there is even a Jones marrying a Jones (from different branches). 

One of my great grandmothers is a London born Smith,
Well, when it comes to a London Smith, I'm lost at the starting gate, add Lewis from London and my head is spinning. Then
add the Phillips of Warwickshire branches and it's time to go back to the starting gate for another run at picking up the overlooked leaves waiting to be found somewhere along
the "genealogy highway" not very far from the  mighty
"forest of family trees".

So, let's talk about the great great grandmother's and their siblings' branches.
A few names for me to ponder would be Bellamy of Wyke Regis,
Lovell of East Fleet, and Susannah Vallens aka Valence or Vallance of Wyke Reis - Weymouth, and others in different locations.

Zelley,  Lovell, Godbold, Woods, Phillips, Lewis, Emery,
Magee, Baker, White. Flisher, Kyne, Tilston, Valence/Vallens,
Mabb/Mabbe, Bellamy, Selley, Martha Smith, Arno (of Dartmouth, Devon}.
Dorset, London, Warwick, East Anglia, Kent,  Devon
North Wales          

The ancestors lived here and there, in many scattered
places, with various occupations

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 09:42 BST (UK) »
3 of my 4 grandparents were Williams, but as far as great grandmothers go, I've got: Jones, Davies Williams and Wynne.

Going back another generation is interesting:
Molineux, Turnor, Rees, Williams, Williams, Jones, Jones, Jones.

Despite the names of the first 2, all born in Wales.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Of my 4 grt grandmothers, 2 were illegitimate, however I bought one birth cert back and have been able to trace the maternal line of one of them and for the other I am pretty certain I am tracing the right line, although would need a birth cert for absolute proof. Another of my grt grandmothers was from Lithuania (as was her husband) so that line really is tricky, however I found a copy of her birth certificate, that my grandmother needed as proof of identity when she moved here so I have been able to go back 1 generation! As for my other grt grandmother, its been pretty easy to trace her maternal and paternal lines even though her name was Clark!

acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts

Offline Zelley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 11:29 BST (UK) »

My closest Jones connection is a third cousin, but my spouse has scores of Jones connections past & present in the region of Wrexham, North Wales.    Gosh there is even a Jones marrying a Jones (from different branches). 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Some from that area too  :o

Gadget
North Wales          

Offline Zelley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Four Trees - Our Great Grandmothers
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 11:33 BST (UK) »
3 of my 4 grandparents were Williams, but as far as great grandmothers go, I've got: Jones, Davies Williams and Wynne.

Going back another generation is interesting:
Molineux, Turnor, Rees, Williams, Williams, Jones, Jones, Jones.

Despite the names of the first 2, all born in Wales.

And that is a very neat flag with the red, white & green.
North Wales          

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 11:48 BST (UK) »
Three out of four.... my Father was illegitimate and no way of knowing who his father was so three it will stay  ;)

Steph.

Steph, I'm in the same boat as you ::)

My grandmother didn't know who her parents were. She was brought up by her 'grandparents' and her 'aunt' and there was no birth certificate (from what I can see anyway).

If and when I get to the bottom of this mystery there will be 4 but at the moment only 3 :'( Have only gone back that far on 1 family at the moment.

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 14:23 BST (UK) »
I'd like to honour my four great-grandmothers: Elizabeth Patricia Cameron, born in Victoria, Australia; Caroline Martin, born in London, England; Camilla Denham, born in Somerset, England; Annie Eliza Hulle, born in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.  All strong and courageous women.  Camilla sailed the world with her master mariner husband in his sailing barque, although she hated the sea; Annie came of convict ancestors (on her mother's side) who had made good.  Elizabeth and Caroline lived pioneering and tough lives in remote parts of Australia in the fairly early days of white settlement.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 14:44 BST (UK) »
3 have been pretty easy, but the 4th arrgh, my grandfather was illigimate so only have her name or should that be names to go on, each reference there is to her she has a differant name, Elizabeth, Lillie, Lily, Lydia.

The names are Beer (of Devon stock), Blight, Garrow, Williams

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 14:52 BST (UK) »
Actually now I come to think of it, my Great Grandmothers lived interesting lives.

My Turvey Great Grandmother from what I understand came from a reasonably poor background and her husband from what I gather didnt have a very stable job.  My Woodhead Great Grandmother's father was on a census at age 12 as a coal miner and died in his 40s before she married.  My Shackleton Great Grandmother's father commited suicide.  My Street Great Grandmother's mother's father died before her mother was born so her grandmother was a widow while she was pregnant.  He died at 38 by heart disease - until then I had always assumed it was a disease older people got.

Andrew