Author Topic: Four Trees - Our Great Grandfathers  (Read 79552 times)

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Four Trees - Our Great Grandfathers
« Reply #54 on: Friday 11 April 08 12:32 BST (UK) »

And here are mine  :D

Paternal:

William REED  1811 - 1885.  Ag. Lab. Born, lived and died Titchfield, Hants
Married Elizabeth Fielder, raised 13 children

William COWLEY 1815 - 1898. Butler. Born Dublin, lived and died London
Married Mary Ann Float, raised 10 children

Maternal:

Thomas PRESCOTT 1832 - 1879. Pawnbroker.  Born Preston Lancs, lived and died Liverpool
Married Jane Dunderdale, raised 9 children

Peter CARROLL  1857 - 1906. Ag. lab. Born, lived and died Wallasey, Cheshire
Married Jane Horsfall, raised 6 children
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 11 April 08 13:22 BST (UK) »
My great grandfathers:

Clarence Samuel Howe born 1865, Brightlingsea, Essex died Aberdeen

Peter Grant Raitt,  1871 - 1959, Aberdeen

John Smith - c1860, Sunderland - 1934, Middlesbrough

John William Smith - 1863, Brompton by Northallerton - c1915 Middlesbrough/ Stockton

Peter Raitt was illegitimate so that's a dead end.

Working out which John Smiths are mine is virtually impossible but I do have most of my 2 x great grandfathers: -

Benjamin Howe - 1837 - 1892, Brightlingsea

James Shaw - 1818 Burghead, Morayshire - 1885, Nairn

Joseph Milne - 1841, Lonmay, Aberdeenshire, died Cruden

William Smith - died before 1882 is all I know

William Knight - 1837, Farnham, Surrey - After 1901, Middlesbrough

William Smith - c1826, Leeming, N. Yorkshire - After 1891, Bedale, N. Yorkshire

James Bland - 1826, Aiskew, Bedale - 1904 - Bedale Workhouse.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 11 April 08 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hugh Ennis - b. 1846 in Ontario and came to US in 1849; farmer and sometime general storekeeper in Wisconsin; insufficiently ruthless to run a store based on credit but, as his son said, "he earned a lot of friends." 

John Logan - b. 1833 in Wigtownshire and came to US in 1834; orphaned at 16 but successfully kept family of younger children together then walked from Ohio to Wisconsin and became a prosperous farmer and timber speculator.

Herbert Banks - b. 1867 in Gloucestershire; schoolmaster and later headmaster; he taught metal working, engraving and other such practical subjects.

James Duddridge - b. 1859 in Gloucestershire; started as an errand boy at 12 and rose up to director of a wholesale grocery company; a Horatio Alger success story.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 11 April 08 19:20 BST (UK) »
And my 4 ...

Thomas Bogle 1878 - 1944. Took a funny turn outside the local pub and was carried inside by a few friends and given a stiff drink ...... bad idea ! dropped stone dead at the bar still clutching his glass, much to the shame of his strictly teetotal wife lol  (funnily enough I know the woman who owns that pub now and she swears blind that she's seen the ghost of an old man standing at the spot he died ..... maybe I should go down and see if he'll talk to me lmao)

William Sloan 1868 - 1933.  Don't know too much about him other than he was a postman and I believe in the Black Watch at one point.

James Ward - 1885 - 1946.  Again don't know much about him at all, sneaking suspicion he and my gt grandmother were never married and that he was gassed in WW1 causing health problems for the rest of his life.

Thomas Stark McMorran 1882 - 1945.  Master Joiner and prize winning canary breeder.  Was out fishing with my Grandmother one day when they noticed a "Gentleman" had dropped his expensive tackle box so they walked along the river to return it to him, the "Gentleman" took his name and address and they went on their way ..........then received a summons and fine of 10 shilling for trespassing !!

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 11 April 08 19:36 BST (UK) »
I have the following;

Edward Simon Jones born Rhosymedre Denbighshire in 1850.
David Conway born Flint Flintshire in 1850.
Thomas Griffiths born Overton Flintshire in 1840.
Henry Durber born Hanley Staffordshire in 1849.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jethorp

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Jimmy Whitehead. Sprinkled with pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 11 April 08 20:06 BST (UK) »
I have these wonderful gentlemen in my tree
   1791 Saddleworth Yorks; Joseph Buckley. He was a Carter in the area of Springhead and Oldham.
   1822 Saddleworth Yorks; Joshua Buckley. He was a Carpenter and sadly died in 1860 of Pericarditis(6mths) He did not live to see his son.
   1860 Saddleworth Yorks; Joshua Buckley. The surname Buckley was very common in the Saddleworth area and so to distinguish each person it became the custom to replace the surname with a word that was felt best discribed them. My Great Grandfather was known as Josh-o-Toil, As he was a very hard worker in the local foundry and rarely missed a days work.I can remember my father telling me this with real pride. Joshua died in 1947
    1895 Saddleworth Yorks; Thomas Buckley. Thomas served in france during WW1. He then went on to become a shop Keeper in Brideoake street Oldham 
Buckley: from Saddleworth. Nield: from Oldham,Whitehead:from Oldham,Kenworthy:from Oldham, Heaton; from Oldham & Mossley,Dyson: from Oldham,Sykes; from Oldham, Durkin; from Oldham/Ireland.Lucas; from, East Lulworth Dorset South Shields.Harvey; from South Shields/Oldham. Swan/Swann; from Oldham and the Midlands McNeeny; Ireland/oldham lancashire.
Furmage; Dorset. Marks; Dorset. Biles: Dorset. Milberry: Farnham Surrey.Shorts: Dorset. Shorts: Dorset.

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 11 April 08 20:39 BST (UK) »
My four G-Grandfathers:

Edward Meyers b.1839, Wetheral, Cumberland - d.16/04.1910, Carlisle. He was a Petty Officer First Class, RN.

William Carson b.1832, Newtownards, Ireland - d.16/02/1888 - killed in a mining accident New Monkland, Lanarkshire

Thomas Stevenson b.c.1837 - d.05/12/1895 Hutchesontown, Glasgow. Coalminer

Joseph Edward Beattie b.12/12/1822 Langholm, Dumfries - 09/02/1900 Langholm.  Stone mason
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 12 April 08 06:41 BST (UK) »
Mine are:

George Herbert EDWARDS (1875-1958), grazier of Mt Gambier, South Australia.

James Oliver WAYE (1872-1952), wheelwright of Willunga, South Australia.

Richard Davey REES (1891-1964), cabinet maker of Marrabel, South Australia. An assault pioneer with the Australian 5th Division on the Western Front 1916-18.

Victor Rhodes VIVIAN (1890-1952), horse driver of Mt Pleasant, South Australia.
A lighthorseman in Egypt & Palestine 1916-1918.

interesting, three of the four have their mother's maiden name as their second name.

both war veterans signed up within a day of each other at the same recruiting office in 1916.
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 12 April 08 15:00 BST (UK) »
walter hodgson 1882-1959 worked and lived in hunslet leeds all his life

george arthur holliday 1873-1943 from the howden area then moved to castleford

james william oxberry 1886-1860 lived and worked in castleford all his life except for service in WW1

albert sidebottom 1879-1970 moved from rothwell to castleford to spend his life down the mines. the only one i ever met and knew.

im lucky enough to have pics of them all
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.