Author Topic: Four Trees - Our Great Grandfathers  (Read 79810 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Four Trees - Our Great Grandfathers
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 13:53 BST (UK) »
Mine: John William Bradbury, A steelworker in Warrington.

John Greenfield, a shipwright in Liverpool. He outlived 2 previous wives to marry my great grandmother, who must have thought she was on the shelf, being a spinster in her late 30s. Unfortunately John, who was a lot older, dropped dead unexpectedly just 2 weeks after the birth of their only child.

Arthur Robert Dyer, a shoe clicker from Leicestershire - and very dapper he was too, in the photos I have of him.

And number 4. My grannie was apparently the daughter of Thomas William Kilner, a French polisher from Leicester. Her parents split up when she was little, and she was brought up as someone else’s daughter.  However this is the only line for which I’ve not had DNA matches (yet!)

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Thursday 01 August 19 00:34 BST (UK) »
I had almost forgotten about this thread.
I have now identified my missing maternal great grandfather.
Stephen Claude McGuire, b.1879 in Echunga, South Australia. Known as Claude, he went away to the Boer War and was actually reported dead! Seriously wounded (bullets had gone right through him), he was sent to England for medical support. He was apparently told the climate of Canada would suit his convalescence. So he ended up in Saskatchewan, dying in 1948.
I often wonder if he even knew he had become a father.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Friday 02 August 19 07:11 BST (UK) »
On my wife's tree
Richard Lambert , born 1849 in Buckland Newton, Dorset as Richard Davies
Shortly after his birth, mopther Eliza Davies married John Lambert, but is he the father?
He was a carpenter, moved to the London area and died in June qtr 1885

William Henry Cole b 1856 in Holt, Worcestershire
He was a wheelwright, eventually setle in Twickenham, middlesex. Daughter and son in law emigrated to Canada, but she came back and stayed with him. Son in law came back to fight in WW1, was gassed and died in 1919 in his house. Later moved to Weybread in Suffolk where he died in 1931

James Honey born 1848 Great Marlow, Bucks
He was a verger and by 1881 was living in Beckenham, died in 1929

Elijah Cornell, born in Ashdon inEssex. in 1853.
By 1871 he was living in Blackfriars,He ran coffe houses in London. He had 7 children with his wife Emma Louisa Baker. In 1894 his wife divorced him, seems he was very violent, and had already disappeared by this time. Absolutely no sign of him anywhere after this
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Laini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Sunday 11 August 19 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

You can imagine the fun I had even getting to the 4 g/f's. 1 unknown, 1 we're only making a guess at but are only 75% sure and the 2 remaining g/f's are both called Tom Jones, both welsh miners. Needle in a haystack springs to mind.

Elaine
Bunn- Wrexham & Peldon, Essex: Jones: Glasspoole: Edwards: Williamson-Southampton: Sowell- Essex

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Sunday 11 August 19 23:18 BST (UK) »
Mine are:

Joseph Thomas Kirk a Shoemaker from Leeds

Edward Capes a Builder from Hull

William John Anthony a Fisherman from St.John's Nfld.

John Butt a Tide Waiter from Harbour Grace, Nfld.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Monday 12 August 19 00:27 BST (UK) »
How about our great grandmothers?  They're equally important.

Charlotte Elizabeth Chapman [1849-1917] - a Wisconsin farm girl who taught school until she was married then helped out in the general store; described by her daughter-in-law as "one of the most unselfish people I ever knew."

Mary Minerva Ware [1838-1894] - born in Maine and migrated to Wisconsin as a teenager; she trained as a tailor in order to get out from under her father's thumb; described as an accomplished mimic but high-strung and a bit of a drama queen.

Clara Ellen Barnard [1855-1927] - lived and died in Bristol; she was the daughter of a gardener; trained as a dressmaker; she married a grocer's assistant who did well and became quite prosperous; I know very little about her, just one photo.

May Augusta Marshall [1885-1945] - a mystery woman, illegitimately born in Bristol, apparently to an upper crust family, and adopted by humbler people; described as "very aristocratic in looks and manner but with a touch of the bohemian rogue about her."
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Monday 12 August 19 00:34 BST (UK) »
Erato, I seem to recall just such a thread for our great grandmothers. I remember posting on it.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Monday 12 August 19 01:26 BST (UK) »
My 4 great grandfathers were

an ag lab from Burnham Thorpe, Norfolk
a plumber from Dundee
an iron turner from Glasgow
a farmer from Canton Ticino, Switzerland

England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Monday 12 August 19 20:53 BST (UK) »
Two of my grand-children's great-grandparents are my mother and father.
I knew them well!