Author Topic: Howells/Lambert  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Anna_C

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Howells/Lambert
« on: Tuesday 28 March 06 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for information on an Edith Isobel Howells (possibly nee Lambert) of the Hereford area. She was my father's mother; his birth year is 1946, so something around the mid to late 19-teens would I imagine be a reasonable estimate for Edith's birth.

There is an Edith Isobel  Lambert with birth of 1913 in Leominster that I have uncovered, who could possibly fit, but am unable to find out any more information - are the parish records for that parish available online?

Edith also had a daughter, Isobel, and remarried a Leslie Cale (I am uncertain if Leslie was his first name or a middle name), and had another child, Edward, with him.

Any help or ideas with where to go with this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Anna

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Howells/Lambert
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 01:02 BST (UK) »
A copy of your fathers birth cert will confirm his parents names. 

You can then look for his parents marriage and get a copy of the certificate which will give Edith's age plus her fathers name.

Once you have her age, you will have a better idea of her birth year so can look up her birth

If you find more than one possible match, as you will then know her fathers name you can put a condition on your application that you only want the certificate if her fathers name was ????

If it is the wrong one, the GRO will only charge a search fee of about £3.  If you apply direct to whichever locality she was born in, I don't think they make any charge for wrong matches - but check it first.

You can now search the full GRO index yourself free of charge at

www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx.  Choose SEARCH THE FULL IMAGES (BETA)

Copy certificates can be obtained online at www.gro.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Howells/Lambert
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 06 16:22 BST (UK) »

The Hereford Register Office will have an index of all its marriages and be quickly able to give you a certificate.
You seem to know the surname of the bridegroom - Howells and think the bride was Edith Isobel Lambert. Should be able to do this by return of post, very unlikely to charge a search fee. £7 per certificate.
Hereford Register Office County Buildings Bath Street Hereford HR1 2HQ
The a copy of her birth certificate if the age is right from Leomisnter Register Office Old Priory Church Street Leominster HR6

This should set you on your way, you could also ask Leominster if they hold the marriage certificates of the parents mentioned on the birth certificate.

GRO certificates take forever to come, Registrars are more friendly and helpful ! ;D