Author Topic: 17th Lancers  (Read 6422 times)

Offline rachel77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 17th Lancers
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 December 09 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Justine, (had some problems replying to your message but got here in the end!)
I can tell you something of the background of my GGGrandfather William Wibberley, wheelwright born 1798 which has some relevance to William Shaw.  This is ongoing research and I'm no expert so bear with me!
I had been researching my own family with regards to the particular combination of Bednall-Wibberley and found that it goes back to William W.  It turns out that he had married an Alice Orme about 1847 and roughly a year later married my GGGrandmother Jane Bednall - without getting divorced from Alice!  Bad Lad!  Not surprising then that on the 1851 census the family is living together under the name Wellerley - I do think that this is a deliberate deception rather than the usual fluctuations in spelling.  William Shaw was living with them at the time and was described as an orphan and a "Danish child" of 12 yrs old.....continued

Offline rachel77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 December 09 15:02 GMT (UK) »
It appears that William in 1851 was living with his wife Jane (who was nearly 30 yrs William's junior!), their daughter Amanda 2yrs, and his children from his first(?) marriage, Elizabeth 19yrs and Rachel 17yrs as well as young William.  In 1855 William Wibberley was discovered and in March was sentenced to 6 months in Derby Gaol which seems to have dispersed the family.  Happily, after William had done his porridge it seems that he and Jane continued to live together and have more children until his death.
I had wondered myself though where William Shaw came from and couldn't quite discover if he was the same William Shaw whose parents were Henry Shaw and Annis Booth.  Birth dates for Henry Shaw seem to vary from 1798 to 1801.  Were Henry and William perhaps childhood friends and the adoption a very informal arrangement?  Is Annis a Danish name? As usual with this game more questions than answers! Rachel

Offline reuters11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 August 10 03:46 BST (UK) »
My Maternal Grandmother was Hannah Mary Bednall Wibberley. She and my Grandfather moved to Australia in 1912. Hannah was the daughter of Susannah Tatlow & Jacob Bednall Wibberley. I know Jacob was a twin and it has led me to the same William Wibberley as you Rachel77.

My mother told me that her grandmothers surname was Bednall and her grandfather's surname Wibberley and the children were all given the name Bednall Wibberley so I was searching for information on Jane Bednall too.

I was wondering if William actually had three wives. The first I think may have been Phoebie giving the daughters Elizabeth and Rachel (also their older siblings, Mary and John). (1841 census Wm Wibberley).

I would be interested to hear if you have any more information.

I have confused myself searching for information on William. Failing to find birth information for him has led me down the path of looking into his marriages to see if that holds any clues where to look next.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 August 10 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hi reuters11

Welcome to Rootschat

This is an older post and checking the profiles of Rachel77 and Justy shows that neither of them have been on Rootschat since December 2009. They may not see your post if they are no longer active members. If that is the case you may want to start a new topic on the most relevant board and see if other Rootschatters can help you with your research.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 August 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
real pity theyre not on anymore,,,,,williams service record is now available   :'(
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rachel77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 August 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hello All!!  I'm still here!  Not found any more info though (not looked in a while - home study taken over!) and suppose the only way to find out a bit more would be a trip to Derby.  :-\ Rachel

Offline reuters11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 August 10 04:19 BST (UK) »
Glad you're still here Rachel.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 August 10 15:17 BST (UK) »
his name on the service record is given as,,, william thomas shaw webberley. ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bednallwibberley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 20:44 BST (UK) »
I am Laurence Bednall Wibberley. Father was Jacob Bednall Wibberley born 1885.