Author Topic: Full circle-oral history  (Read 3297 times)

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Full circle-oral history
« on: Thursday 30 March 06 11:32 BST (UK) »
I thought I'd share this with you as it has been a good lesson for me not to rely too heavily on the story revealed by the census and have a bit more faith in family stories.

When I started researching my tree last summer, the family history suggested that there were romany links, with tales of a travelling fair and a traditional gypsy funeral. I found no evidence of this at all in the censuses back to 1841, although the family were scavengers, dustmen and costermongers. They moved a lot-but all within the couple of square miles of Camberwell Green to the Old Kent road, so I put the stories aside as a bit of romanticism :-\

But-Since using Genes Reunited in November, I've linked up with researchers in two branches of the tree-and both had family stories of gypsy links. One has now discovered living rellies in her part of the tree-still travelling and living in caravans in Kent

So perhaps my family were wayfarers after all and came back into town for the winter months . Maybe that explained why they lived in the same streets at multiple addresses (as well as not making the rent). The 1851 census onwards might have caught them whilst they were still in town and so presents a picture of a settled family. No way of proving it of course-but there is an interesting chapter on the mass exodus of workers in The Victorian City edited by Dyos

Monique

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Full circle-oral history
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 March 06 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Monique,

I had a very similar thing with my grandad's family. I never asked my mum about him whilst she was alive so relied on my auntie ( mum's sister) to tell me about that side of the family. She came up with the story that before WW1 grandad was a clown and bareback rider in a circus and his father was a ring master. Grandad was only born in 1892 so is only on the 1901 census as a 'scholar' and he was born at a normal street address in Dewsbury and on every census from 1881 to 1901 his father is described as a carpet weaver. Like you, I began to think that auntie was hallucinating and that they were also a 'normal' family - although they did seem to move around a bit.

I haven't come up with hard and fast proof yet - I'd really love to - but I did manage to track down the births of some of grandad's siblings and took a chance in sending for their certificates. It turned out that one ws born in a caravan and another at Bradford Fairground, whilst others were - like my grandad - born at 'regular' addresses, presumably when they weren't on tour.

I haven't yet had the good luck to come across anyone on Rootschat or elsewhere who is connected to the family, but I live in hope.

So, yes, I certainly agree - don't ditch the family stories just because the censuses don't seem to agree. There's usually some truth in them!  ;D ;D

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
  • There was a hush in the passion play
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 06 15:44 BST (UK) »
Jill, would the local newspapers mention if the circus was in town?

Might be a mammoth task looking though but it might be worth looking at the papers near the birthplaces?

Steph.
Beer (Kent)
Hall/Halle  (Stafford/Enfield/Folkestone)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)
Southan/Southen/Southern/Southon (Kent)
And more (there are always more!)

All census info: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Join Stumble and lure others into Rootschat!

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 April 06 16:38 BST (UK) »
Jill
Have you tried posting a message here? You can also search the site for your surnames
http://www.thegalloper.com/cgi-bin/thegalloper/UBB/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Circus+family+research&number=24&DaysPrune=1000&LastLogin=
quite a lot on Gibsons
Monique

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 April 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks both for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, I've already tried the local library where the newspaper of the time had been indexed - nothing!

Also, Monique, I think most of the Gibson entries on The Galloper are mine! Anyway, I've just checked and have got the email address of another Gibson hunter to do with circuses, so will see if that leads anywhere. I'm curious to know how you knew the family was Gibson? Have I twittered on about this before to you?  ;)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 06 19:13 BST (UK) »
just a bit of inspired guesswork from the families listed at the bottom of your messages ;)
I hope the Gibson link proves fruitful-let me know
Monique