Author Topic: Italy to Scotland early 1800s  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Izzy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Italy to Scotland early 1800s
« on: Saturday 01 April 06 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if anyone can help my 4x ggrandfather was
born in Italy in 1795-6 he went to Scotland sometime before 1819 as he married at Cannongate Edinburgh 1819 to Martha Abercrombie his name filleppo Rossini
would there be any records of arrivals in Scotland as I would like to know if he had other family with him and wold like know region and or town of origin.
I would be greatful for any inf on thi family.
thankyou
Isabel
Bishop,Burns,Malley,Rodgers,Ralston,Rossini,Watson
and more Glasgow

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Italy to Scotland early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 06 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Izzy,

I am researching my family name Gentile, I have been looking for them for 3 years now and we think we have a positive lead so don't give up too easy.

Sorry I can't really help with the research. He came the UK very early and that might be a real problem. There is a Scottish Italian site, which I am sure you could find on the net. You should also look at early Scottish Censuses, you might just be lucky and find similar named families coming from the same towns or villages. The best site of all to give information is www.italiangenealogy.com they are the experts, they might be able to identify the name with a region in Italy and to suggest other ways of research. If they can't help, in my oppinion no one can.

George
Researching: Gentile - Yorkshire, Shrewsbury, Oswestry Chester.  Woodworth - Handbridge Chester. Taylor - Yorkshire and Chester. Ellis - Wrexham. Wraight - Margate Kent

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 April 06 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Izzy

If you put in Rossini under cognome you will see how common the name is.
http://gens.labo.net/

George
Researching: Gentile - Yorkshire, Shrewsbury, Oswestry Chester.  Woodworth - Handbridge Chester. Taylor - Yorkshire and Chester. Ellis - Wrexham. Wraight - Margate Kent

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 April 06 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Izzy

Here is your Scottish Italian site
www.scotsitalian.com

George

Offline Izzy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 00:42 BST (UK) »
George
I know im a bit late but thank you  for your reply I will have  look at all the mentioned sites.
thankyou
Izie
and more Glasgow

Offline wee fat tally

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 June 06 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Izzy

Bit of a long shot - and you might already have it but there is a 'Philip Rosena' on the 1841 Scottish census born about 1796, (the 1841 census rounded ages to the nearest five years) born in 'foreign parts'.  Also listed are 'Matthew' - possibly Martha, I've come across stranger - born Scotland, and two children, Philip and Antonie.

Dont know if it helps

Offline Izzy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 July 06 20:05 BST (UK) »
WEE FAT TALLY
Thankyou the are definately mine.
thanks again
Isabel
and more Glasgow