Author Topic: 1841 Census  (Read 726 times)

Offline suepernz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 Census
« on: Saturday 01 April 06 00:11 BST (UK) »
I wonder if someone would be kind enough to look up the 1841 census for a Thomas Todd aged 45yrs. He lived in Fen Ditton, Cambridge and the film ref is HO107/67/2 folio ref 6B. I'd really like to know the details of who was at the same address as Thomas.
I find him confusing as in 1851 he's down as a widower - not sure what he was in 1841, but in 1832 he married a Susan Mansfield (the marriage ref says he is a widower then). Susan and her daughter Alice are in the 1841 and 1851 census but no sign of Thomas living with them. Alice then married and moved to London but Susan carried on living in Cambridge for about another 15 yrs before moving to London. Did they have divorce in those days?
Thanks for the help.
Regards
Sue
Bettesworth: Hampshire and Sussex
Bills: London
Burgess: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Dibble: Surrey
Dobson/Dopson: Buckinghamshire
Hammett: Devon
Mansfield: Cambridge
Paulin: Northumberland
Perkins: Hereford, London and Ipswich, Suffolk
Styles: Devon
Todd: Cambridge
Tyler: Hereford
Tyrer: London
Watkins: London
West: Devon

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 April 06 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Nothing helpful I'm afraid.  Yes, there's a Thomas Tood listed under that reference but he's alone (only member of the "household" in question).  The entry doesn't even record whether he was born in the county or not.

At a guess, I'd say that his marriage to Susan didn't work out and that they went their separate ways.  In 1841 there would have been no question of obtaining a legal divorce - except by Act of Parliament - so Susan's later marriage may well have been bigamous.  C'est la vie!

Cheers
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline suepernz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 06 04:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dave, Susan didn't marry again, but Alice was born about six months before Thomas and Susan married so that's probably the reason they got married. Thanks for the information, much appreciated.
Regards
Sue
Bettesworth: Hampshire and Sussex
Bills: London
Burgess: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Dibble: Surrey
Dobson/Dopson: Buckinghamshire
Hammett: Devon
Mansfield: Cambridge
Paulin: Northumberland
Perkins: Hereford, London and Ipswich, Suffolk
Styles: Devon