Author Topic: Galashiels -Wait  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Galashiels -Wait
« on: Saturday 01 April 06 11:45 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a ancestor of my wife.
 Andrew Wait was living there with his wife Agnes in 1912, they would both be in their late 70's/80's, have so far not found deaths.

Can anybody help please.
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Galashiels -Wait
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 June 06 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I could possibly help you find Andrew and Agnes but could do with a little more information. What ells do you know, for example what was Agnes's madden name? Do you think they where from the Borders originally?

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 June 06 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for getting in touch.

Andrew Wait born 1828 Westruther, parents James & Anne Wait (nee Fairgrieve), last seen in 1851 as asst. keeper in Ancrum to William Broadwith (b.in law) shown as married age 22.

Believe he married a Agnes Plenderleith 1850, though the 1851 census shows her as 16 unmarried, Ag.Lab, born Coldstream and living Coldstream with parents Andrew & Catherine.
Have found no further info to verify or dispute this.

From 1861 to 1901 have found no census details on either until I was sent a letter dated 1912 to cousins in Canada to the effect that,
"I have not seen my uncle and aunt in Galashiels since April, they are getting very frail to.  Aunt is now 76 years".

The age would agree with her being 16 in 1851, his brother Robert went to Canada in about 1850 and the descendents there sent me the letter.

Andrew is the only one of the siblings that I have been unable so far to get to the bottom of for my wife.

Hope that you can help,

Regards,
Barry
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 June 06 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry,

Well I see what you mean he does just disappear.

The Andrew who married Agnes Plenderleith had children - Agnes, Christina and Jane. This family are in Surrey in 1851 and Andrew is a Stationer so I don't think it is your family.

In 1841 James and Ann are in Minto with all the children but it doesn't tell you anything you don't already know.

There is one possibility, an Andrew Wait born in 1831 died in Bunkle, Berwickshire in 1858. This death should record the parents names so you will know if it is your Andrew or not but unfortunately between 1856 and 1860 deaths in Scotland do not record the wifes name. If however the wife has registered the death she will be mentioned. The only way to know is to look at the death. My husband should be in Edinburgh next week so he could check for you otherwise there is always Scotland's people.

The letter you have, is it defiantly referring to Andrew or could it be some other uncle and Aunt?

Emma

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 June 06 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

Thank you, I spotted that one on the census and they were married Jedburgh 15/9/1850.

The people in Canada are under the impression that it was a Agnes Plenderleith, will have another look at marriages.

The letter from the cousin accounts for the other members of James and Ann's family, that's why I think they are the right ones, the puzzle is not finding anyone in the census.

Regards,
Barry
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 June 06 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

Further to my last message, there is no death shown on scotlandspeople 1855 to 1860 anywhere, the only marriage is Andrew John Waitt & Agnes Plenderlieth 15/9/1850 Jedburgh and also 27/9/1850 Barony.

Had a quick run through the census again and still nothing, it looks like this is going to be of a puzzle than first thought.

Regards,
Barry
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 June 06 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry,

There is a definitely a death of "an" Andrew Wait in 1858 in Bunkle - remember to use the soundex on Wait. In the past people where not that concerned with exact spellings especially as many couldn't read and write well. Often the registrar would just put down what they thought and it is a name which can be spelled various ways. The birth year is 1831 again this is not perfect but it is quite rare to find a perfect match in this time period as people simply did not know! The parents will be the way of knowing if it is the right man.

Emma

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

The one at Bunkle & Preston was Andrew Wood and mother Denholm.

Am going to have to contact the Borders FHS and get a research done, have used them before and have been very helpful.

Barry
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,
Just to say that I have asked Borders FHS to look for Marriage/Death of Andrew, as I can't find anything.

As to Galashiels, have had another look as you suggested, and assume that the 2 mentioned are, Isabella Wait (Andrew's sister) and her husband George Park. he died 1918 age 84 and she  83 at the time and succeeded him, but no death for her found, they lived at Gala Terrace.

Thanks for the help,
Barry
Shropshire - Tennant.