Author Topic: Sgt John Rothwell  (Read 13975 times)

Offline kathyjn

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt John Rothwell
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 February 09 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I am researching Sgt. John Rothwell and would appreciate if you could get in touch with me at

Thank you! Kathy

Welcome to Rootschat! I have removed your email to protect your privacy. Rootschat members will be able to contact you via a Personal message ( PM) and you will able to do the same after you have posted a few more messages. Good luck on your search.
Ruth

Offline angeleyes34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 September 10 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Glyn and Kathy,

If either of you are still researching and come on here i'd love you to get in touch! I've recently started researching my family tree, and luckily for me had a little help from a previous tree that was made. John Rothwell was my great great great great grandfather! I googled his name and the year 1840 in Tasmania and came up with this page, everything matches up and i've now found out more information thanks to you discussing it on here Glyn. My great great great grandma was Jane Rothwell and my great great grandma was Elizabeth Abbott, my great grandma was her daughter Gladys Hallam. Id love to discuss it with you more if you could.

Thanks Gail x

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 September 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Gail;
           it was a nice surprise to get a message from such an old post, I remember your Grandma
Aunt Gladys, I went to see her in 1983, her daughter Kathleen met me in the bus station and took me to Flanshaw, she was a fine old lady. My Grandad used to call her twinny, but her twin died as a baby. I wrote down everything she told me. Will be glad to help you if I can.
 Best wishes  Glyn
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline angeleyes34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 September 10 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Glyn :)

Were you the man that sent Gladys a letter because you'd come across her in a family tree you'd started? My mother Lynn gave me a copy of the letters and the family tree I think you had given Gladys just last week! I've always wanted to do a family tree, id remembered it being discussed in my family that we had ancestors who came from Tamania, I asked my mum to clarify it and she brought the copy for me. I've been looking into it since then!
Kathleen is my grandma, she adopted my mother, my mothers real father is Alf, Glady's son. When I saw your posts I wondered if it was you, I so hope it is that would be amazing!

Id love to keep in touch and know more, through you i've already been able to add more information to the tree. You must have worked so hard to find all this information! Im so happy you replied! I've kept looking for a reply constantly since I sent the post haha.

Nice to meet you Glyn, how are you related to us? x

Offline angeleyes34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 September 10 09:18 BST (UK) »
I was so happy to get a reply I didn't read properly everything you said! I see you say Aunt Gladys so im guessing with your ID your father will be one of the Collin brothers? and in the letters I have it mentions Gladys being called Twinny so you must be the same person who wrote the letters I've been looking at! This is so exciting! x

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 September 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Gail
          lovely to hear from you, have sent you a personal message.
   Glyn
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 30 March 19 13:46 GMT (UK) »
This is a really old post but the conclusion is I found  an administration of his money a while back, I think on Findmypast?
I jotted down the details as I was using the I pad and when I wanted to get it up again to print. I can't find it anywhere?

Perogative Court of Canterbury
21 December 1850
Extracted by SMALL. Intestate no 173
Died at sea 24 May 1850
Rothwell John sergeant 51 Regiment of Foot
Executors. Mary Ann Molyneux, Henry Heath, Elizabeth Greenwood
Widows share £48-9-2.  Children £96-18-5
Date of payment 20 March 1851 duty paid 19/4d

I wracked my brain to think where I  found it, it isn't coming up on any of the search facilities,  Any ideas folks?
Many thanks

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 April 19 18:30 BST (UK) »
I found it, in Index to Death Duty Registers 1796-1903
But yet he didn't show in wills and probate?

Online TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 17:09 BST (UK) »
But yet he didn't show in wills and probate?

But previously you mentioned that he died "Intestate" i.e. he died without a will and therefore there was no probate ("the official proving of a will").

Update: apparently the official meaning of probate has been extended to include administrations as well. However, if I understand it correctly only wills are currently online, the rest are indices : https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Prerogative_Court_of_the_Archbishop_of_Canterbury