Author Topic: 1841 census: Steers of Lowick  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Jojosam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 census: Steers of Lowick
« on: Monday 03 April 06 04:35 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'd be really grateful if someone could look up the household of Samuel Steers of Lowick in 1841. I'm interested in whoever was in the household but especially hoping to find someone named Mary or Mary Ann there,  her details and the surname she was using - could have been Coales, Coles or Harris (or something else).    :-\

We know she had a son Thomas Coles (there are other posts about him, his wife Elizabeth Barron and his son George Coles) and, it seems, a son John Harris who was born about 1819. Both sons were transported to Australia in 1837, and their mother (just realised we don't have any documents showing her name as Mary, so it could have been something else) was living with Samuel Steers at the time of the trial. 

If they were still together on the census four years later, we'll have a little more to work on.

Thank you.   :)

Interested in: Willcock, Tennant, Streeton, Snowden, Simpson, Prestidge,  Quigley, Nixon, Millburne, Mellish, Lawson, Kirkham, Kempster, Katagiri, Janvin/Janvill/Ganvin, Hirano, Hedges, Hart, Eardley, Deverell, Currell, Coles, Cleaver, Brown, Brogden, Bonham, Barron, Bailey, Badcock, Arnold

Offline RuthT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census: Steers of Lowick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 April 06 10:09 BST (UK) »
1841 census
Lowick

samuel Steers 45 ag lab
ann  45
benjamin  15
john  15
samuel  13
william  11
sarah 8
joseph 4
All born in county
Hall - Leicester,  Wolverhampton, Staffs Bridgnorth
Cartwright - Leicester
Guest - Worsborough, Yorks
Eastment - Bucks/Northants
Elliott - Northants
Sharp - Northmpton
Tew - Northampton
Boston - Bedfordshire
Wale - Leic & Hinckley
Hunt - Leicester
Wiley - Leic, Warwickshire & Staffs
Harris - Staffs
Corbett - Staffs

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 April 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
HI

Alan Clarke has an article on his newspaper index at
http://www.northants-familytree.net/1836.html re: Samuel Steers

Cheers Sandy 
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Jojosam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 April 06 01:17 BST (UK) »
Wow - quick work. Thank you RuthT and Sandy.  :D

But it does look like it's back to the drawing board for me. The newspaper article referred to on Alan Clarke's site is the one in which Samuel Steers 'lives under the same roof with the defendant's mother'. But it looks like she was no longer there in 1841 and, from your census findings Ruth, Samuel Steers definitely had a wife and large family in 1836. So I'm not sure now what the article meant.

There are a whole lot of names in the newspaper article, mainly witnesses for the prosecution, but one interesting name is Richard Barron who was mentioned (but not charged) as part of Thomas Coles' stealing episodes. We assume he was Thomas' brother-in-law as Thomas married Elizabeth Barron in 1831. There seems to have been a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between Wellingborough and Lowick and some of Thomas' accomplices were Lowick residents, although Thomas worked in Wellingborough as a shoemaker and  lived at Potatoe Hall (Wellingborough?).

I'm not sure of the best next step, so I'm going to presume on your kindness Ruth and ask if, when you have time, you could check that census for Mary Ann Coles or Harris. If I have the right woman, her maiden name was Linnell and she was born in Finedon around 1790-ish. We think Thomas' father was William Coles, also from Finedon, although Thomas was born in Wellingborough.

Thanks again to both of you - and if you have any other suggestions about where to look, I'd welcome them.

Jojosam
Interested in: Willcock, Tennant, Streeton, Snowden, Simpson, Prestidge,  Quigley, Nixon, Millburne, Mellish, Lawson, Kirkham, Kempster, Katagiri, Janvin/Janvill/Ganvin, Hirano, Hedges, Hart, Eardley, Deverell, Currell, Coles, Cleaver, Brown, Brogden, Bonham, Barron, Bailey, Badcock, Arnold

Offline Jojosam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 April 06 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandy  :D

thank you for your reply and your ideas.

I've come to the conclusion that the wording in the newspaper report meant only the Thomas' mother lived in the same house, not necessarily 'with' Samuel Steers in the modern sense of 'live with'.  It seems that Ann Payne was a fair bit younger than Mary Ann, and we don't even know if Mary Ann was still alive at the 1841 census.

The main problem is I don't know if she was using Mary Ann Cole/s or Mary Ann Harris. It's a pity the newspaper didn't give any more details about her.

The newspaper article was the first mention of a half-brother for Thomas but the name John Harris is even harder to track. I'm wondering if there are court records from the time, which would have more details about the people who are named or otherwise mentioned in the newspaper report.

And it's possible that, given Thomas' death sentence, he may have had earlier run-ins with the law.

fingers crossed.  ;)

Jojosam

Offline artdec0

• RootsChat Member
  • Help! Distressed Genealogist. :o)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Steers is my 4 or 5 x gt grandfather!
Ron
Aggio Arno Beetles Bezer Bickham Bowdidge Buck Burgoine Convine Coupe Crapper Donno
Duffee Ellison Elmor/e Estall Fabin Forse Fuery
Garstin Gierth Inns Keilich Keyser Krogman/n
Mourgue Ling McNaught Petty Piper Poupart
Rollins Shilling Steers Thoene Walding Warbis
Wildman Wylly

Offline alaibarber58

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, Mary Ann appears to have married my GT GT Gt Grandfather, Samuel Harris of Lowick. they appear on the 1826 Census. A John Harris was Baptised on the 1st April 1819 in Lowick to John and Mary Ann Harris, but also a son Henry was Baptised on 24th September 1826 to Samuel and Mary Ann. Henry became a Stone Mason, married Susan and moved to Mears Ashby, Northants. I understood that Mary Ann was a member of the Linnell family. (One of Henry and Susan's Children was named Jessop Linnell). The history of John Harris's Trial and Transportation is documented in the Northampton Mercury Newspaper.
What happened to Mary Ann by 1841 is not understood yet, but I have family contacts who may have researched this.

Offline Jojosam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 June 12 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Alibarber

Just read your post about Mary Ann Harris. We haven't done any work on our family trees for a fair while and have yet to consolidate all the information we collected when we visited the Records Office in Northampton. But one thing we did conclude was that Mary Ann's maiden name was actually Currell and not Linnell. This explains a lot of the dead ends we came up against when we were chasing Thomas Coles (son of Mary Ann and William Coles, and seemingly the one who led young John Harris astray). But your mention of Linnell turning up in one of the descendant's names means we'll have to double check all of this of course. Will post more (references etc) as soon as we get ourselves organised.

Jojosam