Author Topic: allen lookup please  (Read 1090 times)

Offline helpme

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
allen lookup please
« on: Sunday 10 October 04 13:51 BST (UK) »
can some one find the following please
benjamin george allen
b:shipton worcester 1866-1865
mother: hannah
father:

on the 1881 census it shows hannah as a widow
i need to find benjamins father
i know benjamin married a elizabeth mitchell in 1889 in croydon
can some one please help
regards debra

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: allen lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 October 04 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra. Welcome to Rootschat
I looked at the 1881 entry for Benjamin and I am a bit puzzled by Shipton, Worcestershire  - I'm not sure where that is!
I think your best bet would be to post on the Middlesex board and ask for an 1871 census lookup. As Benjamin has siblings born either side of '71 in Chelsea you must stand a good chance of catching him there. See if that works and if not get back and we'll try and find Shipton!
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helpme

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 October 04 12:09 BST (UK) »
have since found out benjamin george allen
born in shipton on stour worcester if thats any more help
debra

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 October 04 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again. As far as I can see Shipton on Stour is also known as Shipston on Stour and is in Warwickshire (though only just, it is right over the border from Goucestershire and not very far from Worcestershire).
Benjamin was born about 1866 but there is no way of telling where his parents were in 1861, it might have been Shipton and then again it might not.
If you want Benjamin's father then I still think the 1871 census for Middlesex is your best shot since Sarah was born there in 1868 and Frederick in 1873.
Having said that I just looked to see where births register for Shipton on Stour and here is what it says at http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/war.htm#ship

Shipston on Stour
Created 1st July 1837. Mainly in Warwickshire, but included parts of Gloucestershire and Worcestershire.
Sub-districts : Campden; Halford; Moreton; Shipston on Stour.
GRO volumes : XVI (1837-51); 6d (1852-1930).

So I think it is possible that Benjamin was born in the bit of Worcestershire which registered as Shipston on Stour. Very confusing and not a lot of help! Though you could try locating his birth certificate.
Try a request for Middlesex 1871 first, include the 1881 data so that people can see where all the children were born (that way if they don't show up in Middlesex then they can look in Gloucestershire and Worcestershire too). Good luck!
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk