Author Topic: Photo ID  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Photo ID
« on: Monday 03 April 06 13:53 BST (UK) »
Trying to do some detective work on the unlabelled (*sigh*) family photos I've inherited...

Nothing on the photo to say whose wedding this is, but in the close family, we have a marriage between Howard Stanton and Minnie Jackson in 1916.  I've found 2 medal cards for Howard Stanton, both M/cr regiment, as Sergeant and Warrant Officer 2nd Class.  Any chance of that fitting the groom?  (Presumably he's the chap next to the bride - I haven't the foggiest who the other 2 guys in uniform are!)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Photo ID
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 April 06 14:29 BST (UK) »
the sergeant on the right is in the prince of wales own south lancs regt,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 April 06 14:31 BST (UK) »
and so is the lad in the background,just about make his badge out,mack
ps,got any names MR  ;D
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 April 06 14:43 BST (UK) »
That's the problem - I inherited the photo, and I'm trying to work out who it is!  I know of a 1916 marriage in Manchester between Howard Stanton and Minnie Jackson, and there's certainly a medal card for a Howard Stanton, M/cr Regt.  His father was Joseph William Stanton (1860 - bit old?), and hers was Joseph Jackson (1864).

Minnie had a brother David Jackson b 1895 - it's not his wedding, because he married in 1921.  He died in WW2 (navy).  Her other brothers were probably too young.

Howard had some brothers - I'll go and look for possible medal cards.

Otherwise I have a James Potts (1878) who married some time after 1901, and according to my oldest aunt was wounded (disfigured?) in WW1 and turned into a recluse.  Too many possible medal cards, though....

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 April 06 15:00 BST (UK) »
ime pretty certain that this was taken about 1915/16,the sergeant has medal ribbons but the other men dont,i cant make them out but they could be south african war ribbons or a territorial medal ribbon,ime off to investigate,meetcha back here,mack ;D

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 April 06 15:04 BST (UK) »
MR,is it the man on the left who has just got married,if it is,then i think it is harry stantons wedding,i cant make out his cap badge but i can just make out a tiny ball shape,thats probably a manchester cap badge,mack

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 April 06 15:26 BST (UK) »
Mack - I presume the guy on the left is the groom - I cropped this down from a bigger photo, and he and the lady with the veil and bouquet are dead centre.  Sorry it's not in brilliant condition.  The photo came down to me from my gran, who was very close to her older sister, the likely bride's mother.

Rambler

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 April 06 15:30 BST (UK) »
Rambler, I've just adjusted the levels to make it a tad easier to make out.

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 April 06 15:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Sharon: 2 of the many fields where I admit total ignorance are military history and photo restoration!  I really appreciate the time given by all you experts on RootsChat....

Rambler