Author Topic: St. Patrick's, Coatbridge  (Read 2531 times)

Offline maddymoss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St. Patrick's, Coatbridge
« on: Tuesday 04 April 06 14:03 BST (UK) »
Could anyone tell me when St. Patrick’s R.C. Church, Coatbridge first opened its doors?  Two of my ancestors were married in Coatbridge in May 1845 or 1846.  The church isn’t named but from 1852 several of their children were baptised in St. Patrick’s.

Thanks,
Jim.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Patrick's, Coatbridge
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 23:06 BST (UK) »

Offline maddymoss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the link.  I was unable to open the History tab so I still don't know when St. Patrick's opened for worship.    I managed to obtain some information previously regarding the children of this family from a very obliging parish priest, though still looking for the marriage of their parents.   They were Catholics though their Banns were registered in the 'Parish of New Monkland (for Airdrie)' in April 1846

Thanks again.
Jim 

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 19:45 BST (UK) »
Here is what the history tab says

Foundation
St Patrick's parish was founded in 1845 from out "Mother Church", St Margaret's in Airdrie.
This coincided with the Great Famine in Ireland and many of the original parishioners were immigrants who came here in search of a new start in life.

The first Parish Priest of the newly founded parish was Father William Walsh. The first Mass was celebrated in a carpenter's shed in East Canal Street.

Building of the original St Patrick's Church began in 1847 and was opened with a Ceremony of Blessing in 1848. This church remained until 1894, when it was demolished and the present St Patrick's Church was completed on the same site in 1896.

Offline samalexander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if any photographs exist of the original church building? Would be very interesting to know how it looked.