Author Topic: Tracing Army Records  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Mistyrose41

  • I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • ****
  • Posts: 288
    • View Profile
Tracing Army Records
« on: Sunday 10 October 04 20:38 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to trace the records of ancentors who served in the Army [enlisted or conscriped men]? I have my fathers army number and demob details and on my fathers birth certificate if gives my Grandfathers occupation as ' Surrey National Reserve' [Bricklayer]. I remember being told that my Grandfather had served in the Boer War.   
Wiltshire:  Cricklade, West Knoyle.
Names:Newman,  Mead.
Somerset: Hinton St. George, Lopen, Cricket St. Thomas, Hornblotton.
Names: Brook, Cranton, England, Mead.
Kent: Lympne, Dymchurch, Smeeth.
Names:: Taylor, Glayzier, Tebbles, Newman, Idenden.
Surrey: Hersham, Walton on Thames, Great Bookham, Byfleet, Stoke D'Abernon, Thames Ditton, Esher.
Names: Foster, Newman, Glashier, Brown, Bond, Morum, Pantling, Mead.
Middlesex: Littleton, Shepperton.
Names: Newman

Offline newbie

  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ******
  • Posts: 2,402
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Army Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 October 04 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Misty Rose,
Here is a link to another message which has sites for the Boer War posted by mickey m

The Kevin Asplin site is excellent you may find some useful links there.
I did a search on Rootschat for Boer war and there were lots of other suggestions on sites, Kazza has some links as well

Have you tried the National Archives  - they have an article tracing a soldier which may be helpful.
here is the link
Good luck
Census information is Crown Copyright, from