Author Topic: Look up Mary Ann Quigley Quebec  (Read 4496 times)

Offline Jessy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up Mary Ann Quigley Quebec
« on: Wednesday 05 April 06 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Could anyone help me with a look up for Mary Ann Quigley born approx 1848 in quebec.  She married an army sergeant in India when she was maybe only 15????  Any info on her life inQuebec would be gratefully received.  Thanks Jessy

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Mary Ann Quigley Quebec
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 June 06 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessy,

Sorry no one's been able to help you on this one yet.  Do you have any more information about Mary Ann? (Parent's names, siblings, etc...)  How do you know she was born in Quebec?  What does it say on her marriage certificate to the army sargeant?  What about later census records?

We unfortunately don't seem to have any Quebec research experts on Rootschat, but the rest of us on the Canada board will do our best to dig something up for you.  1848 is still quite early for Canadian records though - certainly no civil registration at that time. 

Let us know as many details as you can and we will do our best!

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline Jessy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 June 06 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for reply.  I know that Mary Ann Quigley married Charles Bamford in 1862 they are listed in Family History in India Index to Bengal marriages 1855-1864.  Their first child was called Charles born in Lucknow India in 1864.  English 1881 census shows Mary aged 33 born quebec canada living in royal art. barracks woolwich, kent england.  May must only have been 14 25 when she wed.  English roots chatters thought maybe her father was in the army too??
Thats about all I know.  Thanks for offering to help.  Jess :-\

Offline Jessy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 June 06 10:46 BST (UK) »
change - sorry my typing is bad half way down should read Mary must have been 14/15 (not 25) when she wed.

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 June 06 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessy,

Hmmm..... I've been thinking about this one a bit.  I don't think we're going to get very far without her parents names, or a more specific location within Quebec. 

We might find them on the 1851 Canadian census, if they are still there at that time.  Although I can't find a web site that will tell me whether or not British soldiers posted in Canada would have been included on the Canadian census.  (I agree with the other people who suggested that her father was likely in the army - serving first in Canada then in India)

The 1851 has just been put on-line at Library and Archives Canada

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/1851/index-e.html

but there is no name index yet - it is only searchable by place.  And since we don't know exactly where they were, it is too big a task to search through the images.   :( 

Another possibility - I seem to remember seeing something about children born to British parents abroad (i.e. military) being recorded in a special index?  Held at the National Archives perhaps?  Maybe someone else reading this would have more info on that.... 

If there is a way that you can get a hold of Mary Ann's full marriage record to see if her parents are listed, I think that would be the best place to start.

You mentioned the 1881 census - do you have the others?  I have found Charles and Mary Ann in 1871 and 1891 as well - if you need those let me know. 

If you don't mind, I think I will post a note on the military board about this to see if any of the experts over there can spot her father. The more help the better!

MJP

Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 June 06 16:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry for butting in mjp,but could you tell me would any of the 1851 census be in or around Montreal,Iv'e  sent you a personal message,but I don't seem to having any luck with them,hope to hear from you.Geraldine.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 June 06 16:51 BST (UK) »
No problem Geraldine.  I have responded to your PM.  And I have discovered that the population of Montreal according to teh 1851 census was 57,715! 

Check out the Canada Resources section of the Emigrants to Canada board for lots more Canada info...

MJP

Offline Jessy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 June 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help mjp.  Yes I would appreciate it if you could forward to military posts.  Yes I do have the other two uk census scripts.  I dont know how I would get a copy marriage certificate to check fathers name as they were married in Bengal.  Any ideas????  Thanks Jess ;)

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 June 06 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessy,

I have posted on the armed forces board with a link to this thread, so hopefully someone will spot it and be able to give you some advice about finding her father. 

As for the marriage certificate, I would think there would be some info on the Family History site or whoever published the index about where the originals are held??  Sorry, I don't know anything about it myself.  Again, perhaps some people with military knowledge will know more, since most British marriages in India would have been military...

MJP