Author Topic: Wedges Camp  (Read 29568 times)

Offline Annie Edge

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Wedges Camp
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »
My mum Margaret Gilham has wonderful memories from the Wedges camp in 1954/55. She's keen to trace anyone else who was there around that time. She mentioned comforting a girl in a thunderstorm and also a school song based around the acronym of CHRISTMAS. She'd be keen on a reunion, I'm sure.

Offline Mr Nostalgic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi. Not sure when you posted text for info for wedges school but if still interested I have many photos and official book of camp and paper reports. Terry.

Offline malcolmg16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
To Mr Nostalgic

I would be very interested to see your photos and other memorabilia of the Wedges camp school. I was there for only two terms, autumn and winter 1950/51 or maybe a year later - I cannot remember exactly now.

Malcolm G Hill 

Offline Mr Nostalgic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi again .Thanks for getting in touch. I was there for 3 terms. Sept.1951 to August 1952. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have as I said Many prints of old postcards. The official council book with many pictures. Newspaper cuttings and schedules etc for when I was there. I can print them all out and forward them to you. It will be no worry Terry.

Offline Tuffet

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 15 July 18 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi I was at Wedges Camp in 1947, I remember the camp songs too. I'd love to hear from anyone who was at the camp around the same time as me. I was from Sarisbury Green and I remember playing football with boys from Woolston. Ted

Offline alison s

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 11:03 BST (UK) »
My mother, Paula, is now 95 and taught at Wedges. Her surname then would have been Benbow. She met my father there, John Grainger, and they married in 1947. I don't know when they first started teaching there. About a year ago I found information about Wedges and comments from people who had been students there. I printed it for her and she has it with her. She lives in a care home now and my sister and I do our best to help her with her memories. I have a lovely photograph of her running an outdoor class - all students with arms outstretched and looking about to jump in the air.

If anyone remembers John or Paula it would be lovely to hear from you. Alison

Offline Mr Nostalgic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 21:18 BST (UK) »
Naturally being a young boy when I was there in 1951 I cannot remember her. I was there for a year and have happy memories of Wedges. I have a load of cuttings and official programme and photographs of the camp . Terry.

Offline Irene pilgrim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 22 September 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hello every one from wedges enjoying reading all the feeds and memories of wedges school I had great memories of the school and would love it if anyone had any pictures they could share with me ( via my grandson) please feel free to email him on *
I was there in 1952 till 1953 and would love to know if any one remembers me or if you don't remember me would still love to talk to people who went ....
If possible I would love to arrange some sort of reunion
I currently live in southampton so please feel free to contact me im not 100% on the computer .... hence my grandsons help

* Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice to prevent others spamming or abusing it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses or other personal details.  New members need to make 2 or 3 posts in order to access this system.  Many thanks

Offline Thomny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 04 March 19 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I too attended Wedges School for six consecutive terms starting with the last term of 1953. I also have a class photo with Mr. Felstead the teacher in the pic. A cook was leaving and took the picture on her last day and sent a copy for all the students in class. I also will never forget what someone referred to as "Bully Bolton". One morning I never heard the breakfast bell as I was in the forest down by the lower field with the swings. When I realized I was late and charged up to the dining room all out of breath, Mr. Bolton smashed his hand against my head and sent me flying across the floor. It took a little while before I could stand up. Apart from that I did enjoy the school as there were some very good teachers there. How about Mr. Matthews who taught woodwork and "Old pop Wheeler" whom Mrs. Wood made a song about: "Old pop Wheeler's got a puncture in his tire and he mended it with chewing gum". Would like to hear from anyone who was at Wedges during any of the six terms that I was there. I was in Dormitory 5 for 2-3 terms and Dormitory 6 for the rest of them.
Thomny