Author Topic: Wedges Camp  (Read 29765 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Wedges Camp
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 09:31 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a few new members with only 1 post. Will members please remember that new members can not access the pm function or the chat room until they have made a couple of posts. As long the the information in not too sensitive please post your messages via the topic.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thomny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 23:49 GMT (UK) »
One unique feature of Wedges was their education system. The day after arrival, all the pupils would sit for the same exam in order to find out their education level. Then the following day they were placed in classrooms according to their marks. This would mean that younger students would be combined with older ones in almost every class. It had to be done this way as neither the school nor the pupil knew whether they would be coming back for another term, let alone another year.
So, after spending two years at Wedges, I was in a completely different zone after returning to my regular school. It took another two full years for me to catch up and come near the top of the class.
What many of us enjoyed was the Saturday evening film night, sometimes there was a film in a series, each one being complete with a little girl called Angela as the star. Another program was the Sunday night TV show Mr. Left & Mr. Right. There were two white gloves on a black back ground showing us how to make origami models. After each one, everyone wanted to try their hands out at making them. This was a very different type of TV. It was a box that projected the film onto a screen.
Mr. Stanley was the art teacher, he also taught pottery. I remember one boy made a beautiful swan in his pottery. His hands seemed to put it into shape effortlessly.
I also remember people saying that Mr. Booth wrote nature articles for the “Eagle” comic. I was never in a position to see any of these and all of the searches for even the magazine on Google have been fruitless. I had seen it in the newsagent as a child but never had the money to buy it. So, if anyone has even one copy of Mr. Booth’s nature articles – it would be a pleasure to read.

Thomny

Offline Thomny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 07 March 19 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Some more reflections on my stay at Wedges: Mr. Chalk (Chalky) kept canaries in a caged in section of the front veranda of dorm 6, he brought them and took them away again at the end of each term.

During my first term I remember going on a walk to Five Oaks and getting lost on the way back again. When I did get back, the entire school had finished their evening meal and were in watching the film. The teacher who discovered me wandering back said they were just about to send out a search party for me. The thing is, where I lived in Portsmouth we didn't have a lot of opportunity to see so much woods and forests and Wedges presented many opportunities to do a little exploring. Some of the hikes we went on were really exhilarating. One teacher (name forgotten) would tell us  stories he experienced whilst travelling in Europe to places like Mount Vesuvius & Rome. He knew a fair bit about volcanoes.

Thomny

Offline Thomny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 10 March 19 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Here is a list of teachers from the time I was there:
Headmaster Mr. William Booth; Deputy Headmaster Mr. Wood; Mrs. Wood; Mr. Matthews; Mr. Morris Chalk; Mr. Wheeler; Mr. Stanley; Mr. Felstead; Miss Shoreland; Mr. Les Bolton, (Bully Bolton); Mrs. Bolton; Mrs. Campbell; Miss Dixon, Mr. Banyard.

Thomny

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 10 March 19 22:34 GMT (UK) »
There is a article on the BBC site about peoples memories of WW2 and one talks of the  Wedges camp school for about a few paragraphs of her memories if anyone is interested
www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/03/a9900003.shtml

Offline SportyJ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 11 July 19 22:38 BST (UK) »
So great to hear about Wedges, never forgot it.

To Paula’s daughter Alison,
I remember your mother as Miss Benbow. I was up there in 1945 with my older brother Gordon (now deceased), I was Jean Taylor, the next year my sister Freda went with Gordon. I loved it and so did Gordon, not sure about Freda and she cannot remember your mum. I remember the name of Grainger. Your mum was the P.E teacher, I was not in her dormitory as I was in Nightingale. But we used to look out the window to the swimming pool seat where 2 people sat and talked. Fortunatly, we were never got caught.
 I doubt if your mother will remember me but I learnt to swim in that old pool, played tennis and all sports. I never forgotten the great time I personally had at Wedges.
I hope your mother is happy and well as can be expected at ones respected ages.
Jean

Offline Amanda3

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
I've read all your posts about Wedges Camp School with interest. I recently moved into a property in what was part of Wedges Camp and was researching the Council archives to find out some history about my house. It mentions that the stable block and barn (my house now) was used as living accommodation for domestic staff of the Camp School. Do you have any recollection of the staff living here and the farm buildings? Was it still a working farm when the school was operating?

It would be so interesting to know if anyone recalls, the barn and the other farm buildings.
Many thanks  :)       

Offline Scharles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 18:43 GMT (UK) »
I remember Wedges very fondly.  I was sent to Wedges School in 1952/53, from a children’s home called Hollybrook House in Southampton. My Maiden name was Spence (first name Sylvia).  One friend I remember was Stella Timbers from Littlehampton.  I would love to hear from anyone who was at the school around those dates...

Offline Scharles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 18:46 GMT (UK) »
If any one has any photos of their time at Wedges school, I would love to see these. Sylvia