Author Topic: Wedges Camp  (Read 29566 times)

Offline mojo2007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wedges Camp
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 June 14 23:54 BST (UK) »
Mr Ollerinshaw  was always the name I remembered. You must have been one of the big kids. My love of the countryside has never left me, I also still recall the fun of dancing outdoors in the summer . The only name I recall was Janet Hogsflesh, a couple of years older than me, on who I had my first crush.

Offline silverdreamer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 June 14 20:53 BST (UK) »
I was at Wedges in 1949, I stayed in Nightingale dormitory, I remember a couple of girls names and they were Joyce Kemp-Knight, and Kay ?.  I was there with my friend Gillian we were both aged 10.  I have a photo of our class having a lesson in the open air, not sure if allowed to post on this site??  Our dorm teacher was Miss Swain.

Offline malcolmg16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 July 15 14:29 BST (UK) »

Re Wedges camp. I was there for two terms, summer and autumn of 1951 and remember several of the names of teachers mentioned by other contributors. In particular Mr Olerenshaw the headmaster, the two superintendents of the Lister bunkhouse/dormitory, Mr Chalk and Mr Gardiner. Everyone had to belong to a so-called "club" for evening activities. The first term I belonged to an adventure club which taught us all sorts of scouting techniques; we went on extended walks in the local countryside. The second term I joined a theatre club, where we had to recite poetry and learn how to act; as a rather shy boy I hated it. At the weekends we were let out to roam the locality and would walk to Toat Hill, Five Oaks or Barns Green or even as far as Christ's Hospital school, all through the wonderful surrounding forests or country lanes and farmers' fields. At Christmas there was a dance and fancy dress competition which I won when, as a red-headed boy, one of the teachers dressed me in a brown sack and stuck some bush branches on my head and dubbed me Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer, which was the name of a popular song of the time. In all, I had a wonderful time at Wedges.

Offline IrenePilgrim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wedges Camp
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone out there that remembers me Irene Pilgrim  from Wedges  School in Sussex  I would love to hear from you! Please if u read this please share thank u. I was there in 1952 and my head teacher was mr. Ollerinshaw. Then it was mr. Booth. I remember a girl called Christine Caldry who gave me a pair of brown wedges, which were my favourite shoes. I had a big crush on William Stevens who we called steve. I also loved the social evenings and when we danced and the tuck shop. I used to play with Patience Freeborn, a girl called Stella and a boy with the surname chance.

Offline mojo2007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I regret that I do not remember you , but  do recall several incidents. Am I right in thinking a girl was expelled for getting pregnant ? I had my first pet, a white rat.  For the only time in my life I cried when my mother left me in  my first term. The Head must have been a progressive teacher. Do you remember a film about ballet, which opened  my eyes as to how tough male ballet dancers have to be .  I have an older friend who was there about 10 years before me. Are there any schools like it today ? John

Offline IrenePilgrim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 17 November 16 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi john nice of u to reply  I don't remember the film  u mentioned I am sure we never had that one I remember one called Urika stock ade we had that every term I was there I don't remember a girl being pregnant not when I was there John What year were u there ? I loved it at Wedges I had my last term there as I was 15 and we. left school at that age I remember I cried all the way home John I realley have no idea if there is another school like it or has been 

Offline IrenePilgrim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 31 March 17 18:52 BST (UK) »
Wedgescampschool
Is there anyone out there that remembers me Irene Pilgrim  from Wedges  School in Sussex  I would love to hear from you! Please if u read this please share thank u. I was there in 1952 and my head teacher was mr. Ollerinshaw. Then it was mr. Booth. I remember a girl called Christine Caldry who gave me a pair of brown wedges, which were my favourite shoes. I had a big crush on William Stevens who we called steve. I also loved the social evenings and when we danced and the tuck shop. I used to play with Patience Freeborn, a girl called Stella and a boy with the surname chance.

Offline malcolmg16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 16 July 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any photographs of Wedges School? Are there any digitalized archives one can search for such photos that others know of?

malcolmg

Offline mojo2007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 July 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
I do not know of anywhere else  but I was given a couple of pictures, moderate quality, which I am happy to share. Please give me a contact either post or email.
John Clark

john.h.clark@btinternet.com