Author Topic: GAGAN  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
GAGAN
« on: Thursday 06 April 06 15:56 BST (UK) »
Karen, if you have time and you see this, could you offer a suggestion.

My cousin had mentioned that when he had asked my mother about our grandmother`s children, my mother had told him, that grandmother had a son John born about 1895 nd also another daughter born abt 1897 her name was Mary. but that she had died on board the ship when they were leaving Canada.

I had tried a long time ago searching some of the information on line about births, but I could not find them, perhaps I was not looking in the correct place.

Where would I look to confirm if this was true? we are curious to know if there were two other children born to our grandmother.
There had been no mention about them in the report from the Marchmont Home about my grandmother, only baby mentioned was my mother, so we wonder if that story was true?
The surname of course would have been GAGAN
Sorry to bother you again, but it would be interesting if true, if cousin Nelson could find a grave for the child John, we are assuming he would have been born in the same area as my mother, which was Hastings County, Ontario.

My son had looked  in London for the deaths at sea for Mary, but nothing was recorded there.
Maud
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: GAGAN
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 April 06 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Maud,

What year did your grandparents leave Canada again?  That will narrow the search down a bit.

Stephan Gagan and Mable Grant are your grandparents?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 April 06 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,
Thanks once again for your offer of help, as far as I know my grandparents
Stephen & Mabel left Canada in 1900, They were definately in Glasgow Scotland for the 1901 census, and in the report from te Marchmont Home, discussion about grandmother leaving Canada.
Mabel had written to the Home in Oct 1899 telling them that they were leaving soon to join her sister (Effie) in Glasgow
The comment was, Mabel and her husband and baby, called at 9pm
saying they were on their way to Glasgow, but had difficulty about their ticket. The Home lent them 2$ and a basket of food  apparently the 2$ was never repaid (naughty grannie!) so this gives a leaving time of the end of 1899 & 1900, they were in Montreal before leaving.
They were supposed to have sent back the loaned money from there, but did not do so.

As I mentioned, only one baby, who I assumed to have been my mother was mentioned at this time, but then, could this have been the child Mary, who would have been still a baby by 1899? my mother had been born in  June 1896 and would have been a bit older. She had talked about going to school in Glasgow, this would have been when she was about 5 years old then, when school began for that age.

So, unless they were delayed in Montreal, a leaving time of 1899 would have been about right, if delayed, then it would have been 1900
Is this of any help in finding them?
At least we would then know if my mother had been telling the truth. She told so many "porkies" we never knew what was truth or not!
How long would it have taken for them to travel from Canada, and would they have arrived in England first, perhaps Liverpool? or would the ship have gone direct to Scotland.
I know there were docks in Glasgow, I think they were called Broomilaw, don`
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 April 06 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Maud,

I'll take a look at the birth and death index next time I am at the library to see if there is a John or Mary born around that time.

Good on your grannie for not paying them back, far to many home children did not get the money they were promised.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!