Author Topic: Bothwell Births 1851-1860  (Read 3285 times)

Offline kentishlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bothwell Births 1851-1860
« on: Monday 11 October 04 12:44 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out if any other children were born in Bothwell, during this period.  My ancestor is John Shapland Bathgate born 22 Nov 1855, Bothwell, but the family are not here in the 1861 Census.  His parents were William & Fanny Bathgate.

I lose track of the family until 1881 -where they appear in London.
His parents were married in St Cuthberts, Edinburgh - I am looking in this area too.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bothwell Births 1851-1860
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 November 04 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if you already have this information

Your John is in IGI batch C116251 together with a number of other Bathgates who perhaps are cousins? This batch is unusual in that it is taken from Scottish registers rather than church records. The notes indicate that the index and certificates (1855 - 1875) are available on fiche at LDS centre. If you haven't sited the certificate it would be very worthwhile. I believe that 1855 was the first year of civil registration in Scotland & the certificates for that year are very comprehensive -  (This specifies what is in the certificates each year). Siblings are included.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php?area=content/about_this_site/statutory_records

You should also be able to get an image of the certificate at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (fee).

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kentishlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bothwell Births 1851-1860
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 04 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Trish, however I have seen this batch and the other Bathgate births are children of John & Janet Bathgate - not William & Fanny - however, I must get the certificate, as you say, thankyou for all your information you have sent.

regards
Doreen