Author Topic: WW1 PENSIONERS & THOSE KILLED ?  (Read 6235 times)

mobo

WW1 PENSIONERS & THOSE KILLED ?
« on: Monday 11 October 04 22:41 BST (UK) »
 ??? ??? ???

WHERE MIGHT I FIND A LIST OF ARMY PENSIONERS, AND THOSE WHO DIED IN THE 1914-1918 WAR PLEASE ?

MOBO

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 PENSIONERS & THOSE KILLED ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 October 04 23:24 BST (UK) »
I do not believe that any list of war pensioners is available. The dead of WWI can be searched for on this site: http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

mobo

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 10:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the info.  I know that the National Archives houses military records, but unless the signing up year and regiment is known, they say it's not possible to search.  Also you have to visit them in person which I cannot do - so I guess it's back to the drawing board ...............

Mobo

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 13:13 BST (UK) »
You can look at the medal cards on www.documentsonline

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 13:43 BST (UK) »
http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk/medals.asp

As Sylviaann has pointed out, this site will allow you to find your ancestor by name if he served in WWI. It will also show what campaign medals he was awarded. So, you can get two for one.
But - I have a suggestion for you. Rootschat memnbers fall over themselves to help others but it is always better if you post your query in full - names, places, dates and perhaps  what country you live in. That might allow us to suggest what archives you could possibly be able to search.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

mobo

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 16:05 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D

Okay, thanks !
Thomas MORRIS was born in Salford, Lancs in 1894, and married there in 1920.  When his daughter Rowie MORRIS was born in 1921, his occupation was shown as Engineer's Labourer and underneath was written  'Army Pensioner', so I can only assume he had been in the 1914-18 conflict.  No idea of the regiment or when he was penioned out.

Mobo

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 16:55 BST (UK) »
If he was receiving a pension then he had been disabled in the War as he was not old enough to receive a long-service pension.
A middle name would help as there are about 100 Thomas Morris's on the medal roll. You see even if someone produced a list of all pensioners how would you know which was your Thomas?
There could be some chance that he  was enlisted either in a local regiment based somewhere in Lancashire or in one of the service corps like the Royal Engineers. I would guess he was not a commissioned officer because of his post-war occupation. That narrows it a bit but unless you can dig up something else you are unlikely to be able to pursue this line further.
Did he really have a daughter Rowie, or was she Rowena? That's just curiosity on my part and not relevant.

mobo

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 22:57 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)

Sorry, that's all the info I have; his birth certificate shows him as just plain Thomas, and his daughter as Rowie, (pronounced roohey).  Like I said, it's back to the drawing board for me...... thanks anyway...............??? ??? ???

Mobo

Offline Swampy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 October 04 09:37 BST (UK) »
Your man may not necessarily have been granted an Army pension as a result of disability sustained in the Great War itself. He may have been injured or rendered unfit for service by reason of illness, which provided it became apparent during military service, could have qualified him for a pension. It is also possible that he might have seen active service in the Third Afghan War of 1919, which involved many territorial units including the South Lancs Regiment. Of course, if your man doesn't have entitlement to the India General Service Medal with bar Afgahanistan 1919, you can rule the latter possibility out! As suggested before, this can be ascertained by checking him out via the national archives online. Another suggestion is to check out the obituaries in the relevent local newspapers over a two month period subsequent to his death. You may be lucky and find references to his war service mentioned there.
Plumb (London/Surrey/Kent)
Hatherill (London/Surrey)
Chittleburgh (London/East Anglia)
Rowden (Kent)
Jewiss (Kent)