Author Topic: Ballyhale Parish - WALSH/WELCH  (Read 18319 times)

Offline mwwalsh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballyhale Parish - WALSH/WELCH
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 21:31 GMT (UK) »
John,
I don't have any information on the Hurley's. 

I have a second cousin, Dennis, you may have talked to.  I asked him about the St Joseph Prairie cemetery in Dubuque County.  I know my most distant known ancestor is Edmund Walsh and he lived in Dubuque but I confirmed in SW Iowa.  Dennis indicated

"Edmund is buried in Missouri Valley at Mount Carmel Catholic Cemetery.   Back around 1990, my father Jim Walsh worked with the sexton to locate where Edmund was buried and had a a head stone placed there.

Edmund's brother Patrick Walsh is buried near the old Walsh homestead(s) in Washington township, Dubuque County.  St. Joseph on the Prairie was the old country church the Walsh families attended there.  The church building still stands although it has now been converted into a storage building by the farmer who purchased the land.  The small cemetery sits next to it.

John V. Walsh of Dubuque is a descendant of Patrick  ....."

Offline ockie37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Have to tryed to contact the Catholic Church In Ballyhale direct!
I was looking for some ancestors, i wrote to the Parish Priest, enclosing my email address. He emailed me back with 3 Generations

Below are the Church's Contact details

Ballyhale
Telephone: 056 7768686
Fax:
Email: knockcar[at]indigo.ie

John

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [at] with @

Offline AISLINN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 January 10 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I have had occasion to email the Parish Church at Ballyhale  some years ago, and I must say, that the Parish Priest concerned, at that time, was extremely obliging and helpfull.   He gave me all the information that I required.   It was invaluable. 
If only other Parishes would be as helpfull.   Some don't even have the manners to acknowledge  emails.  They just completely ignore them.

Offline bradhurley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 June 10 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I just noticed your reply today (1 year later).  THANK YOU very much for finding those records for me!  It is always a big step when I can find an exact location where a branch of my family lived in Ireland.   Where did you find these records?  I'd love to take the next step and look for Michael's marriage to see if it lists parents and can connect to the other Walsh families that had similar migration routes through the US.

I'd be happy to discuss this further.  Feel free to contact me at (*). 

Brad

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline bradhurley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 June 10 02:40 BST (UK) »
Mike,

Good idea!  As of now, I do not know of any living male WALSHes who descend from my WALSH ancestor.  I believe there are some, though, and I could try to track some down although I would expect some resistence to the idea of a DNA test since they wouldn't know me.

Brad