Author Topic: SWITZERLAND: Does anyone have access to "Swiss Surnames: A Complete Register"  (Read 28385 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SWITZERLAND: Does anyone have access to "Swiss Surnames: A Complete Register"
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 22 March 12 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Manchester Rambler, I only just saw your reply to me from last December!
Not sure how I missed it, however, thank you very much.
Vaud rings a bell but not sure as I only found out some details about her at the end of last year.

Her death notice says she was from Champvent,  Switzerland.
Could you tell me what canton that would be in, please?

Thanks again and again   :D  :D  :D
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SWITZERLAND: Does anyone have access to "Swiss Surnames: A Complete Register"
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 22 March 12 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Her death notice says she was from Champvent,  Switzerland.
Could you tell me what canton that would be in, please?

Champvent is in the canton of Vaud - it's not far from Yverdon at the foot of Lake Neuchâtel, and has a rather impressive mediaeval castle. http://www.swisscastles.ch/vaud/chateau/Champvent.html
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 22 March 12 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Wow!

Thanks very much.
That looks like a real 'gingerbread' castle   :D  :D  :D  :D

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline rastajef

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can find me usual on Ancestry.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 26 March 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
Rambler, Hi!

Is your hand too tired?
or could you reach up on the shelf again
for the Swiss register, o pretty please!  ;D

My family name is Girod
earliest is Grosjean Girod from Loversee 1414
but given the area of Pontenet as a wedding present
from the monks of Bellelay--

don't have much on other towns in the area of family members- Pontenet was main.

anything is very much appreciated!

jeff  :)

I have attached an amusing/amazing news story of my 2x great-grandfather immigrated to Oregon.....
Girod from Switzerland, Oregon, Minnesota, West Virginia, and Ohio.
Select Girod from England.
Bonner from Donegal
Thornburg, Thornburgh from England.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeff,

My source doesn't have much about your Girod family, I'm afraid - just a brief mention of Alexandre GIROD of Pontenet, an artist born in Madrid on 7 April 1889 who died in Le Locle (canton of Neuchâtel) on 8 January 1927.

You probably already know that Loveresse and Pontenet are in the French-speaking part of the canton of Bern: this is the link for the Bern FHS http://kunden.eye.ch/swissgen/ver/beinfo-e.htm

However, if you've traced your Girod line back to 1414, you'll be lucky to get anything earlier!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rastajef

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can find me usual on Ancestry.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 12:08 BST (UK) »
Rambler,Thanks for your help!
Grosjean's parents
who lived in Loversee
are the hard  ones to get info on......
family oral tradition carried down
along with the male line chart starting at Grosjean
it says
"a monk and a nun eloped and escaped with their lives from Alsace/Lorraine area......and settled in Switzerland"
thats all i got....
i will add the new knowledge you have found..thank you!  :D
Girod from Switzerland, Oregon, Minnesota, West Virginia, and Ohio.
Select Girod from England.
Bonner from Donegal
Thornburg, Thornburgh from England.

Offline ec20150308

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 08 March 15 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Dear JackieG
Just noticed your old post. 40 years ago, when I still lived in Switzerland and we had very little information about our ancestors, I researched extensively our Carisch family.. If you are still interested in answers, let me know and I'll share what I have on our ancestors.
EC

Offline AnnaC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 24 July 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Rambler,

I just came across this site and saw you have access to the Dictionnaire Historique et Biographique de la Suisse. Would you be able to look up the name Adolpho A. Cortesi from Cantons de Grisons (I think). He was born around 1873 - conflicting records for that - emigrated to England prior to 1901.

He is my great-great-grandfather and we have no info for him prior to him being in England.

Thank you sooo much :)
Anna

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 10:06 BST (UK) »
Rambler might be able to add something, but the on-line version (http://www.hls-dhs-dss.ch/f/dhs-et-e-dhs/contenu :other languages available)does not have him.  The surname is only "registered" to one community: Poschiavo.
To find out how to follow up this line of research try reading this page: http://kunden.eye.ch/swissgen/kant/grallg-e.htm as well as the general pages of this website, which are very helpful, if a bit old.
Good luck.
Paul