Author Topic: SWITZERLAND: Does anyone have access to "Swiss Surnames: A Complete Register"  (Read 28370 times)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have access to SWISS SURNAMES: A COMPLETE REGISTER?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 June 06 07:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed Rambler for that very prompt reply. Very much appreciated.

It does seem likely that both Switzerland and France remain possibilities.

I was sitting here thinking, the legend has it that the Gillet's came over with the Eley's, various spellings, and that both families were weavers of fine silk hose. Is there a family by that name in your register please? Does it give trades by any chance?

My what a long shot that is!!!

Grateful thanks

Pelican

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 June 06 08:10 BST (UK) »
Nothing about silk weaving, but trades aren't often mentioned.  I can't see an Eley family (with any spelling) - closest would be Egli.  (Quite a few separate Egli families all over Switzerland.)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 June 06 08:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much again, Rambler. I thought it was a very long shot, but it was good of you to look.

I had better keep the name Egli in mind I think. Pronouciation changes spelling!!!!

This is going to be an interesting chase!

Best wishes

Pelican

Offline target

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 August 08 00:03 BST (UK) »
I'm rather new to this but my ancestors supposedly came from Bern in 1864.  I think I found the ship.

GG Mother - Emma Ris  (Her parents were Rudolph Ris and Anna B. Meyer)

GG Father - John H. Erni (changed to Erny in America)

They both ended up in Pittsburgh, PA. 

I don't know if these names are really from Bern or not.  Supposedly Emma spoke German and French and then learned English when she came to the US.

Any ideas?

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SWITZERLAND: Does anyone have access to "Swiss Surnames: A Complete Registe
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 August 08 14:39 BST (UK) »
There is certainly a RIS family from the canton of Bern - first mentioned in 1470.  Their place of origin is Jegenstorf.  (Another family with the same name comes from the canton of Glaris.)

There are several different ERNI families from different parts of Switzerland, but I can't see one from Bern.

The problem with Switzerland is that the family may have lived in Bern, but originated elsewhere, and civil records are held at the place of origin - see this topic for an explanation: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,183876.0.html

However, it looks likely that Emma at least was from Bern, so it would be worth contacting the local register office for Jegenstorf with the info you have (parents' names, approx date of birth), and asking for help.  (I will PM you with their details.)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline target

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 August 08 19:46 BST (UK) »
Rambler:  Thank you so much for the info on the Ris family from Bern.  Do you know the places that the Erni family came from?  Apparently they eventually moved to Bern from wherever because I can remember my father telling me that John Erni had a letter from the Mayor of Bern saying that he was a hard worker.  My dad saw the letter but never knew what happened to it.  Needless to say, anyone who knew has passed away and the letter most likely ended up in someone's trash.  Thank you again.  Marianne

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 August 08 22:20 BST (UK) »
There are ERNI families from cantons Aargau, Basel, Graubunden, Lucern, Solothurn, Thurgau and Zürich, unfortunately.....  ::)

However, if Emma and John married before they left Switzerland, their marriage should be recorded at Fraubunnen, and it ought to give his official place of origin on that record.

Rambler

Offline Lianna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 09:38 GMT (UK) »
I hope this is still active.  Do you have any information on the surname LanFranchi, most specifically, Tomasso?  Or any information about a little shop they may have owned in Porchiavo, Switzerland?  Thank you in advance. 

The DHBS is sitting in a bookcase to the left of the computer, so no hassle to look things up!

Godenzi (fomerly de Gaudentiis)
Family from Poschiavo.
Bernardinus Godenzi: Doctor of Divinity, vicar-general, custodian of Coire cathedral 1630-1655.  Erected an altar to St Gaudentius in the cathedral in 1665. Died 31 Jul 1668.

I don't know much about that region of Switzerland (my husband's family are mainly from Neuchâtel and Bern), but it's a beautiful area.

Rambler. 

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SWITZERLAND: Does anyone have access to "Swiss Surnames: A Complete Register"
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 16:53 GMT (UK) »
There's just a brief entry in my book:

Lanfranchi: family from the canton Graubünden.

Emil Lanfranchi (b. 1872, Poschiavo): priest at St-Moritz 1905-1921; cantor of Coire cathedral from 1921.

Rambler