Author Topic: US passenger lists before 1860  (Read 3194 times)

Offline siems

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
US passenger lists before 1860
« on: Tuesday 12 October 04 02:35 BST (UK) »
Can someone look at ship's passenger lists for the following ENDERSBY family members; Ebenezer (DOB about 1820), Thomas (DOB about 1820) and James (DOB about 1832)?  They may have entered the US from England through New York or Baltimore.  The first time their names show up is in the 1860 census for St. Lawrence County, NY and that means their arrival date would be before 1860.  Name may also be spelled ENDERSBE.  Would appreciate any help anyone might give.  Thank you

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
Re: US passenger lists before 1860
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 03:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Siems
I have not had any luck finding your Endersby/e on any ship list, but wanted to let you know that Ebenezer appears on the 1850 census also and that makes his arrival date prior to 1850.

1850 US Census, New York, St Lawrence, Norfolk
Roll M432_591
Page 151
Line(s) 24, 25 and 26

ENDERSBE
Ebenezer, M, age 30, Farmer, Born England
Electa, F, age 28, born New York
Andrew, M, age 2, born New York.

Sorry I couldn't help with your passenger request.

Regards,
Valerie
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline siems

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 03:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your efforts.  I have been told that Ebenezer Endersby worked on log rafts that were moved down the St. Lawrence River.  Now I wonder if he entered Canada from England first and then entered the US.  Is there any way to check that?

Thank you again.  The help you have given me is greatly appreciated.

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 December 04 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I have found Distantcousins.com to be a good site.  Type in a name and anything w/it in it will show up.  Scan the headings till you see one in the location u seek then click on and read that particular one.   If the name is common there will be a lot of hits and reading them all can take time but scanning the headings does narrow down those which u actually have to read.  Also there is a Lot of good and extensive info for New York at Rootsweb and U.S.genweb.  I too am researching family from that area of N.Y. (Franklin Co.) and have had good luck w/these sites.    Leagen
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.