Author Topic: Burns and Neilson Family - Kelso area  (Read 4099 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Burns and Neilson Family - Kelso area
« on: Sunday 09 April 06 19:19 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find more info on Agnes Neilson

She is my husband's Great Great Grandmother. She was born in 1814 in Kelso to Thomas Neilson and Margaret Hogarth

I know she had a son, William Wallace b 1846 Eckford to a man named John Wallace.

In 1861 she is living with Peter Burns b 1815 - 1817 Ireland and they also have a son Hugh Burns aged 6 b Kelso. He is my husband's Great Grandfather.

In 1871 Agnes, Hugh and William had moved to another area of Scotland and Peter was no longer with them. Agnes states that she is a widow.

I have been unable to trace them in the 1851 census but that could be me just not seeing them as I want to see them if you know what I mean.

I have managed to trace Thomas and Margaret back but am not 100% sure about Thomas' birth place and date. I have 1782 Rutherglen but am definite that he married Margaret Hogarth in 1807. Margaret was born to Charles Hogarth and Jane Jamieson in 1780 in Kelso. They had four children altogether (that I know of) - Isabel 1809, Thomas 1811, Mary 1817 and Agnes though I have no other details of Isabel, Thomas or Mary

Has anyone got any links to this family and any definite info on Thomas and his birthplace? Or can anyone help with the search for Peter Burns and Agnes in 1851 or even Agnes and son, William in 1851?

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burns and Neilson Family - Kelso area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 April 06 19:23 BST (UK) »
I'm assuming you've had a look on the 1851, Carol, but if not I'll have a good look for you. I've got some spare units.

PM me if you like :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 April 06 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget

PM on its way

carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 April 06 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Had a quick search in our own records,

Roxburgh Parish,
Book 3, Page 11
Heiton
Agnes Wallace; Head; Widow; 37; Agricultural Labourer;born Roxburgh, Melrose
John Wallace; Son; 10; Scholar; born England
James Wallace; Son; 7; Scholar; born England
William Wallace; Son; 4; Scholar; born Roxburgh, Eckford
Patrick Burns; Lodger; Unmarried; 30; Railway Labourer;born Ireland

Let me know if you don't think this is the right one and I'll have another look. By the way not sure how well you know the are but Heiton is very close to Kelso.

Emma

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 06 01:10 BST (UK) »
Would this be the 1851 census Emma?

The wierd thing is that someone mentioned once that many of the Irish changed their names when they "emigrated " to scotland to fit in better

The Agnes looks right and so does the William. Didn't know about the other two though( John and James)

So all I need now is a marriage for Agnes and that might bring it all into line. And John and james wouldn't have been on the 1861 as they would have been 20 and 17 by then.

Oh dear I can feel a headache coming on lol

Oh dear i am shaking as this "feels" right to me

Thank you so much

Carol

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 April 06 08:57 BST (UK) »
They're the ones Carol - that I've mentioned on the other thread. Are you sure your Agnes was born Kelso? But I don't think it looks like Melrose

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 April 06 09:36 BST (UK) »
Found John b. circa 1840 - Lucker Northumberland bpt. 12 August 1840 to John Wallace and Agnes.

Gadget

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 April 06 10:57 BST (UK) »
That definitely sounds like them doesn't it?

Maybe I have the right year of birth for Agnes but the wrong date and place

Don't forget this is info I have had since the beginning of my search and I was limited then to what i could use. So maybe I need to do a bit of "deleting" if we find these are the right ones

Carol

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 April 06 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Hugh married 1875 not 1876 ???

Still puzzling over this birthplace of Agnes. I've attached a blow up

Gadget