Poll

Which are you?

Genealogist
3 (9.7%)
Family Historian
28 (90.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Genealogist or Family Historian?  (Read 8501 times)

Offline Kimi

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogist or Family Historian?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 22:34 BST (UK) »
I'm a brancher.  Only because if I get stuck on my trunk, I get irritated and start looking elsewhere.  It always leads me back to my trunk though, which makes me know I'm on the right track - some would call it going round in circles!-  ::) ::) ::)

Kimi
Ryder- Limehouse/Canning Town.
Couley- Limehouse. 
Hogben- Canning Town/Kent
Richbell- Kent.
Davies - Lancashire
Lester - Berkshire

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 22:45 BST (UK) »
Definitely a brancher.... ;D

I'm after photos - the more the merrier.  Someone has to have them!

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 22:49 BST (UK) »
But what was your answer Amy?

Jill

ooooh, I'd love the title 'family historian', but my lot just refer to me as 'her who's obsessed with dead people'...

::)
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 October 04 22:57 BST (UK) »
I'm a family historian, It is much more interesting to find out how our ancestors lived, where they went to school, where they worked and how they met the spouses etc. I want to have as full a picture as i can about there lives and it makes it much more interesting when i am talking to my children about there GG Grandparents.

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 11:38 BST (UK) »
You have to be a historian otherwise who is going to remember all the little bits for future generations like......

The fact that my Great Aunt Beth drowned in the dolly tub when she was 3 and my grandad found her

That my Great Uncle William lived with his "housekeeper" (a scandal in the 1920s)

That my grandmother dressed my father as a girl until he was 3 because his twin sister died at birth

That my uncle Arthur built model sized trains that he rode round a track in his garden

Just think - all that social history lost!
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 14:17 BST (UK) »
I was a trunker but now a brancher.  When finding a name on the census I tend to follow that person and their family.  I recently followed my Grt Grt Uncle's wife and daughters from 1841 to 1901.  I mentioned this in a letter to my Dad's cousin who is now 85 and she said oh I knew the Edith you mention very well, and so gleened more information on Edith's family, sending me down the branch to a twig.  My friend now has over 18,000 names in his tree, so he's definitely branched out.

Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 October 04 02:29 BST (UK) »
When I started this all I wanted to know was about my direct line but that changed when i got stuck. I started to trace other people just to see where they were and what they did and got hooked on expanding out as far as I can. I have found it is more interesting to follow as many of the siblings as I can for as far as I can ..... and now I may have found a cousin (the name is right anyway) who was an inventor. Goes to show you never know what you might find and it was a change from labourers and miners.

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 October 04 03:44 BST (UK) »
I guess I am afraid of heights! ;D  More of a brancher horizontally than height!  A bit of a phobia on my part that make take a doctor to help me.  Anyone know a counselor for family historians??- kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Annahannah

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 October 04 05:55 BST (UK) »

I'm definitely a Brancher, or would be, if my tree wasn't more like a juniper bush!  Out of the ground, and off in how many directions?

For example, my father had 50 1st cousins; my mother had 35.  And that's just one generation!

Anna
Tharratt, Smith - London
Canham, Harvey, Ship - Suffolk
Higgins. Bowden, Ayres/Eyre - Buckingham
McDonald - Scotland, Africa, Canada, USA