Author Topic: John Thorpe  (Read 5854 times)

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John Thorpe
« on: Tuesday 12 October 04 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

This is not a look-up request but more a general enquiry.  I hope that this is the correct place to post this request for information.

I have an ancestor called John Thorpe who was born in Fairlight about 1813.  He became a relatively famous artist who exibited regularly at the Royal Academy.  I have been able to trace his movements around the country (mainly between St Leonards and London) through out his life until eventually I found him in New York in 1880.  Despite many false leads I have never been able to identify where and when he died.  Lots of his paintings are in the Hastings Museum and Art Gallery (mainly water colours but some oils) but they could not tell me much about the man.  As a local man have you ever come across John Thorpe, artist of Hastings and St Leonards? Any tit bits of information about the man would be very welcome.  I understand that many lithographs of his paintings were made and that these still reappear in Hastings from time to time.  Obviously I would love to acquire an example of John's work.

I realise that this is very much a long shot but as they say 'If you don't ask you don't get' but I am well aware that even if you do ask you usually still don't get.

Please do not think that I am asking you to do extensive researching on my behalf  because you would embarras me if you did.  All I am asking for is any information that you already have and also to keep your ears and eyes open for any information that may come your way in the future.

Kind regards

Roger

Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)