Author Topic: 1837online lookup query  (Read 3727 times)

Offline mmjones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1837online lookup query
« on: Wednesday 13 October 04 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hello..

I am unable to access the 1837online site due to the limits of my browser so I am not familiar with the process they have for locating a GRO number there. Is it possible that someone here could lookup my name of interest to see if it is there or is there a charge for doing that?

I have not been able to locate a death certificate GRO number for my grandfather William Ivor Jones at FreeBmd,Ancestry.com, or LDS! I don't know where in England or Wales that he died. I only know it was sometime between 1927 and 1954.

Would appreciate any help or recommedations. Thank you kindly.

Lynn 8)
Lancashire: RICKABY,GASKILL Yorkshire:SIMPSON,RICKABY,WOMERSLEY/WALMSLEY
Cambridgeshire, Whittlesea: WINTERTON,UPTON,CLARKE,WESTON,GREEN,SARGEANT/SARGENT
Ireland, Ulster, Antrim, Ballymena & Ballymoney: MCGARRY,ARMSTRONG,TAYLOR,WALLACE
Wales,Carmathenshire:JONES,REES, LEWIS, JOHN, WILLIAM, WILLIAMS, HOWELLS/HOWELL

Offline njh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1837online lookup query
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi -this would be a nightmare to search on 1837online as you can only look up by quarter by year and you have to pay for each time you view.

Sorry  ???

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 13:06 BST (UK) »
 hi I have also looked on the nbi with no luck i am afraid.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mmjones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 20:56 BST (UK) »
Ruth..I am not familiar with what the NBI is. Is it a complete listing of death records? Can I assume if he is not listed on nbi that he would therefore not be on file either at the GRO? Thanks.

Lynn
Cambridgeshire, Whittlesea: WINTERTON,UPTON,CLARKE,WESTON,GREEN,SARGEANT/SARGENT
Ireland, Ulster, Antrim, Ballymena & Ballymoney: MCGARRY,ARMSTRONG,TAYLOR,WALLACE

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 October 04 06:29 BST (UK) »
NBI contains 13 million records but is by no means complete!!! I think you are going  to have to do a lot more digging first! however I have just received a notification from 137 online that you acn now do a full name search but need to investigate that.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 October 04 16:02 BST (UK) »
The new search at 1837 is a little better than the old, but would still be a very expensive exercise for the number of years involved. My only suggestion would be to find an LDS centre with St Caths index on microfiche (if microfilm you will spend days winding film) and allocate lots of time - you will still have to search by quarter. You may also find multiple folk who fit your name.  Do you know for certain that he died in the UK. The thought of emigration could add yet another dimension.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tewin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 October 04 15:13 BST (UK) »
Well it might be time consuming, but not particularly expensive. Even if you have to search every quarter between 1927 and 1954 that's still only 108 units on 1837online. At a cost of around a tenner, that's cheaper for me than a trip to the FRC! And chances are you'll find him before you get to the last quarter of 1954. You could always try searching electoral registers first to narrow down the time frame if you have any idea where he was living.

Good luck,

Tewin ;)
Lowen: Middlesex and Herfordshire
Meara/O'Meara: Middlesex, Hampshire, Ireland
Collins: London, Hampshire, Manchester
Sharp/e: London, Bedfordshire
Stanton: Middlesex
Eaves: Middlesex
Irons: Middlesex

Offline mmjones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 October 04 19:06 BST (UK) »
Tewin

Is it possible to search electoral registers online for Liverpool or Cardiff? Thanks.

Lynn 8)

Offline mmjones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Ruth,

Could you please look to see if William I. Jones (Liverpool) is in the NBI somewhere between January and April of 1967? Thank you in advance.

Lynn 8)