Author Topic: Gibsons of Delcombe Farm, Milton Abbas  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Vic Gibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gibsons of Delcombe Farm, Milton Abbas
« on: Wednesday 13 October 04 11:46 BST (UK) »
I am seeking info on my great grandfather, Henry Day Gibson. I have discovered from the 1861 census of district 2, Parish of Milton Abbas, that his father, Jno Gibson (41 yrs), owned Delcombe Farm, was married to Jane (25yrs) and at that time had 4 children. Henry Day was born on 31.3.1861. It appears from the 1871 and 1881 census that the Gibsons were no longer in the district.I consequently need info on what happened to them after 1861. Henry Day landed up in South Africa where he married Elizabeth Jane in Kimberley in 1884 and retired as Head Constable in Worcester. I also need help to establish whether he was a member of the British Army

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gibsons of Delcombe Farm, Milton Abbas
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 September 05 10:44 BST (UK) »
found 1871 census
HENRY D GIBSON c.1861 born milton abbas, scholar
JESSIE GIBSON C.1865 MILTON ABBAS  SCHOLAR
URSULA GIBSON C.1863 MILTON ABBAS SCHOLAR
SAMUEL COOKSON AGED 33 MD ST ANDREWS BORN LEICESTER
JANE COOKSON AGED 35 GENERAL PRACTIONER BORN STAFFS
THERE IS ALSO A 19 YEAR OLD MEDICAL STUDENT AND A DOMESTIC SERVANT.
THEY ARE LIVING IN LICHFIELD STREET[NEXT TO THE SUN INN]
CASTLE CHURCH STAFFS
RG10/2819 FOLIO 74 PAGE 27
could be henry's dad died and mum married samuel
hope helps
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 September 05 10:53 BST (UK) »
yep thought so marriage between samuel cookson and jane gibson.SEPT. QTR.1870 staffs
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.

Offline Barnsbury Boy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 January 20 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Just registered here so not sure if this is the right place etc.
My mother since deceased told me I was born on Delcombe Farm in 1939,
and my birth certificate just states "Delcombe, Milton Abbas" and that my father was a Milk Salesman.
However I live in Canada but hope to visit the UK in the near future and would like to know the exact location of Delcombe Farm. I see mentions of the farm on the internet but none specify its exact location. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 January 20 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

This is hopefully a link to a map that shows both Delcombe Farm and Delcombe Dairy Farm https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=50.8398&lon=-2.2927&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Kay

Added - On modern maps Delcombe Farm on the above map is shown as Delcombe Manor

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 January 20 06:59 GMT (UK) »
A bit of info on Delcombe Manor in 1929 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delcombe_Manor  so Delcombe Dairy Farm looks more likely as a working farm  and is shown on Bings Maps Ordinance Survey Maps as Delcombe Farm

Kay

Offline Barnsbury Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 January 20 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello from Canada Kay:
Thank you for your reply and welcome, that was a great feeling after all the years to actually see it located on a map like that. I had searched a few times through Google Earth and the British Telecom directory without success. The story behind my birth place is a long complicated one, some have said I should write a book, so I will just be brief here. My parents moved to Delcombe to manage the dairy farm sometime before WWII, but had to give it up when my father was unexpectedly conscripted, he apparently assumed he was exempt as an essential service provider. After that my mother, nee Collins; coincidentally born in Hereford,  moved us back to Croydon from whence she had come. So my stay in my birth place was very short lived, and for various reasons I never made a trip back there. I left the UK to live in Italy in 1968, and then to Canada in 1974, and except for a couple of very brief visits never fulfilled my wish to some day go to DElcombe.
I am not sure about the significance of the name changes you mention in your other replies; but I am positive my mother said it was Delcombe Dairy Farm, which probably because it is not currently listed in the usual places, makes sense why I could not find anything. Now that I know exactly where it is I will be checking the history and owners of the farm, so you may hear more from me.
Thanks again Kay for the info, I am so glad I stumbled on this forum, it is such a gold mine of information. Cheers John G

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 January 20 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Glad it is of use John G  and happy hunting

Kay