Author Topic: Thousands of ancestors in your tree?  (Read 11196 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thousands of ancestors in your tree?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 15 April 06 18:37 BST (UK) »
It was 1867. 

Actually that is a good thought because most of the sons had their own farms.  I'm not too sure what happened to the wife, I can't find her on the 1871, but then she was called Phoebe and in my experience with a name like that on Ancestry she could be anywhere :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 15 April 06 18:39 BST (UK) »
When did he die? Could she have remarried?
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 15 April 06 18:40 BST (UK) »
He died in 1867.

That's a good thought, because she was his second wife and quite a bit younger than him.  That gives me another lead to follow!  Thanks

Kerry :) :)

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 15 April 06 18:44 BST (UK) »
Good luck. I think my great grandmother remarried because she dissapears after one census. It was the only way to survive for the Ag. Labs.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 15 April 06 18:45 BST (UK) »
One of my lot got about £690 for there farm stock and stuff in 1869, in Wales.
Did he leave a will?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 15 April 06 18:52 BST (UK) »
Gadget

I'm not sure and I'm not really sure where to look?

Kerry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 15 April 06 18:55 BST (UK) »
If you know his name, where he died and the date, you can write to the place in York and they'll look for you.

GAdget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 15 April 06 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget

I'll give it go!

Kerry

Offline Headbanger Veron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 generations 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 17 April 06 00:15 BST (UK) »
This post is not meant as a criticism or because I'm burning with envy  ;).  It is just a wonder.

If you have thousands of people in your tree, do the names  loose some significance to you?  I understand that you would hold more of an attachment to your direct ancestors than a very distant relative but do the entries become just names and not real people.

I ask because I only have about 3 hundred and I've found that some of them are just names and I really do need to go back and do some more in-depth research on their lives before I start trawling for new ones to add.  Otherwise, I feel that my tree is becoming a pointless excersise.

I look forward to your views.

Hi Wheeldon

I don't have thousands (about 1000 altogether, including all the current generation) but I entirely agree with you. I have found far more satisfaction in researching a few of them, properly, than just adding to a list of names for the sake of it.

Shortly after getting into this family history lark I found a couple of trees on Rootsweb which are connected with mine, and very quickly realised that I didn't actually care whether my GGGGG grandfather was called Tom, Alfred or Horatio, if that was all I knew about him. On the other hand, I've found out a painful amount of accurate detail about my great uncle, who was killed in WW1, even though I've known that fact all my life, I've just never gone into it in depth before. Further back, I've found that researching the circumstantial detail of people's lives and putting them into historical context, makes them far more real to me than just getting as far back as possible.

Depends a lot on who you are and what you want to get out of it. The only thing I knew in advance about mine, was that they definitely didn't all come from the same couple of villages, so working out how they got together in the first place is quite interesting!

Cheers Veron  :D
All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Currently researching:
ABRAHAMS (Essex/Woolwich), CARPENTER (Kent)
CLEMENTS (London), CRADDOCK (Sheerness)
HORTON (Birmingham)
MUNCASTER (Whitehaven then Manchester, Scotland, Suffolk and Canada!)
TANCOCK (Devon/Cornwall),
WILSON (Edinburgh)
among others.....