Author Topic: What a treasure find!  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
What a treasure find!
« on: Wednesday 13 October 04 13:28 BST (UK) »
I printed a mini-tree of the research I'd discovered so far and went to mother's yesterday and showed her what I've done.  For my brother (the eldest of us) it was the first time he's seen anything and was amazed when he told me he had "some photos and letters" which belonged to our grandmother.

When I saw exactly what it was he had my jaw hit the deck.  There were stacks of photos, love letters between my grandmother and grandfather, newspaper clippings and much more.  There was also a small "autograph book" which dates back to the early 1920s which was used to get autographs from family members and friends - it amazed me how many people left "naughty" little messages.  I've been allowed to bring the collection home in parts to scan and photograph to preserve them in digital format for the family tree.

Here's one photo of what I've brought home so far...
http://www.heavenfm.co.uk/genealogy/pa130944.jpg
Large pic bottom right: my great grandmother, Ada Harris
Small pic above it on right: my grandmother, Constance Woodcock (about 14yrs)
Small pic next to my grandmother: my gggrandgather, James Harris (Welsh, standing)

Here's a close-up of the inside of the photograph wallets...
http://www.heavenfm.co.uk/genealogy/pa130945.jpg

Lastly, a photo of who I think is my gggrandfather...
http://www.heavenfm.co.uk/genealogy/photo.jpg
I tried a Google search for the photographer to see if they're still running but can't find anything.

I've linked to a site because of the size of them.  These are straight from my camera - no editing.
Derby: WOODCOCK (Donnington)
Devon: HARRIS (Plymouth)
Lancashire: DERRICK
Lincolnshire: CROPPER, WOODCOCK (Boston)
London: BARKER, DUGGIN, HARRIS, HINTON, HULBERT, WHITE
Wales: HARRIS, PRITCHARD (Pembrokeshire)
Warwickshire: DERRICK, WOODCOCK
Desperate for my Woodcocks from Birmingham!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: What a treasure find!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 21:01 BST (UK) »
What a wonderful collection Zeb  ;D

I'm also lucky enough to have loads of old photos of my paternal grandmother's family - most of them are on the wall going up the stairs.  My favourite is one of my great uncle John Frederick Jones in his Royal Welsh Fusiliers uniform - he died in combat in 1917 in the First World War.  I have even got his service medal in the original box. 

His sister, my great aunt Millie, kept everything in a box under her bed and passed it all on to me in 1998.
As well as photographs the box contained certificates, confirmation books, family bible plus newspaper cuttings.  That's was started me on the Family History Road!!!!  :D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 21:13 BST (UK) »
http://www.cartes.freeuk.com/time/date.htm

A site to date old photos.

I'd be in 7th heaven to have somthing like that ZEB.   How kewl!!
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 21:29 BST (UK) »
Jan in the picture "photo.jpg" in my original post, do you recognise the uniform?  If it is my ggrandfather, they're Welsh!
Derby: WOODCOCK (Donnington)
Devon: HARRIS (Plymouth)
Lancashire: DERRICK
Lincolnshire: CROPPER, WOODCOCK (Boston)
London: BARKER, DUGGIN, HARRIS, HINTON, HULBERT, WHITE
Wales: HARRIS, PRITCHARD (Pembrokeshire)
Warwickshire: DERRICK, WOODCOCK
Desperate for my Woodcocks from Birmingham!

Offline minime

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 October 04 00:46 BST (UK) »
Sadly, my Nana destroyed most of her love letters between her and my grandfather, and most of her pics too. She used to keep them in a trunk..the letters were from WWII, when Grandpa served with the army, wrapped in a ribbon, along with other personal items. When she got the trunk back from the Uncle's place, it had been gone through, many items taken and many just shuffled about. She was so angry at the invasion of her privacy that she tossed it all.  :'( I lost a lot of ancestors pics that way. A lot that would definatley have come in handy now.

Minime
Birchall, Cooper, Kearns, Hope, Desmarias
Scotland, England, Ireland, Canada?, France?

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 October 04 09:58 BST (UK) »
Zeb, I have compared the uniforms in your photo & mine.  Unfortunately. they are very different.  What a shame - sorry  :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Miriam

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 October 04 11:35 BST (UK) »
The whole reason I started tracing my family tree was because of one photo! I'd known it most of my life and knew that the two little girls in it where my great aunts (my great grandmother wasn't born then). Now I know who all the others are too, it's fantastic to be able to put a face to the names you're researching! Here's the photo - http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=8741229 - it was taken in about 1898.
I'm waiting for the granddaughter of one of the 3 older boys in that photo to e-mail me actually, I only found out she exsisted a few days ago! I wish she'd hurry, she might have more photos!
MOON, YOUNG, COLES, GREAVES (GRAVES), HOUSE, TIDBOALD - In Somerset, Gloucestershire and surrounding areas - Baltonsborough, Frome, Dulverton, Bedminster, Bristol.

HOLYLAND, RUDKIN, DONISTHORPE, MOORE, MATLOCK, WOODFORTH, CRAMP, WEBSTER, HOLLAND, PATCHET, WHITEHEAD, BULLERS, BULLERS-BARKER, EAGLEFIELD - Leicestershire, Loughborough and surrounding villages.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 October 04 11:47 BST (UK) »
Zeb - as far as I can see from this very small picture the uniform is the "stable jacket" of one of the cavalry regiments. I suspect it is one of the Hussar regiments and perhaps the 13th Hussars. Use that as a guideline and you will be able to find out for sure.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 October 04 12:04 BST (UK) »
Those photos are fantastic especially the large one of your ggm. To me that is a typically Welsh face -loads of character. And if she passed those gentle rock steady eyes to following generations they were very lucky